Thread: When You Find Yourself in Times of Trouble...

Obadiah 1:18

When You Find Yourself in Times of Trouble...

What Scriptures do you turn to for comfort and encouragement? Or even when things are going well for you, what Scriptures help put a little pep in your step? The Bible states that without faith it is impossible to please Yahweh (Hebrews 11:6), and that faith comes by hearing, and hearing by His Word (Romans 10:17). Hearing the Word, and hearing ourselves speak the Word, is essential to acquiring faith and increasing that faith. This is why the Bible counsels us to speak to ourselves in Psalms and hymns and spiritual songs (Ephesians 5:19).

When I need that faith boost from Scripture my first port of call is almost always the Book of Psalms, Psalm 34 in particular. I've prayed over and spoken aloud, sometimes very loudly, verses from that magnificent chapter thousands of times. Verses 4, "I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears", and 10, "The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the Lord shall not want any good thing", are my two favorites.

If I'm in a predicament where I just don't have a clue why things have gone awry or why my prayers don't seem to have met with an answer, I turn to Proverbs 3:5, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thy own understanding." Also Habakkuk 3:17-19, "Although the fig tree shall not blossom...Yet I will rejoice in the Lord..." I love the Amplified rendering of verse 19, "The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds' feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]!"

The Amplified version of Ephesians 3:20, an immensely uplifting Scripture, is a further reason that having an Amplified Bible is a great idea, "Now to Him Who, by (in consequence of) the [action of His] power that is at work within us, is able to [carry out His purpose and] do superabundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams]."

There are so many Scriptures I could list, but I'd be here all night, and most of next week, if I cited all of them.

What are some of your favorites?

Re: When You Find Yourself in Times of Trouble...

I always look to Psalms 91:

1He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
    2I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
    3Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
    4He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
    5Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
    6Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
    7A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    8Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
    9Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
    10There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
    11For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
    12They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
    13Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
    14Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
    15He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
    16With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

I also consider the life and trials of Job. I've endured some pretty hard times but nothing as severe as the trials that Job endured.

Obadiah 1:18

Re: When You Find Yourself in Times of Trouble...

A verse I forgot to include, and one I've been praying over a lot, is Psalm 62:5, "My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him."

Cursed He That Trusts Man

Please note this thread is automatically generated whenever new uploads become available on talkshoe.com - we invite you to discuss this sermon here. All threads with zero replies after thirty days will be merged in The TalkShoe Consolidated Thread. -admin

In Cursed the Man That Trusteth in Man Pastor Visser shows the differences between laboring for Yahweh and 'working' for man while covering God and mammon, the love of money, worldly riches and enemies found within one's own household. A deeper examination of the Wheat and the Tares helps us to prove that not everyone 'claiming' to be Christian is genuine.

More...