Thread: Tithing

Tithing

The Law of the Tithe

by Howard B. Rand, LL.B.

What is the tithe? How shall it be taken and to whom shall it be paid? These are vital questions for those who wish to keep the requirements of the Law of the Tithe in order that they may be eligible for the promised blessings. Through Malachi the Prophet the Lord asks His people:

"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation." (Mal. 3:8-9).

Following this denunciation for withholding the tithe, a call is given to bring in all the tithes to the place of gathering. A special blessing is promised those who will do this, for God declares He will become the Debtor and will pay His obligation in full:

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shalt not be room to receive it." (Mal. 3:10).

God challenges His people to put Him to the test by paying tithes and see if He will not pour out abundant blessings upon them. The testimony of all who have accepted this challenge and consistently paid their tithes is that God has kept His word in every respect. The individual who refuses to accept this challenge to put God to the test—a test of God which He permits each one to make for himself—is missing great blessings. When men say they cannot afford to pay a tithe of their income because they are financially unable to do so, they make a grave mis-statement. The actual fact is that they cannot afford to withhold the tithe for their own spiritual good and economic well-being. As far as their personal finances are concerned, God has promised that those who are faithful to Him shall not want and He promises special blessings of abundance to all who meet the obligation imposed upon them in keeping the Law of the Tithe.

The Tithe is a tenth of one's increase or income and we find many references to the tithe in Scripture. The principle of the tithe was evidently well-known in Abraham's time. We are told that when he returned from the battle against the kings who had carried the people of Sodom and Gomorrah away captive, including Lot and his family, Melchizedek, King of Salem, met him. This King of Salem was the Priest of the Most High God and to Him Abraham gave tithes of all his possessions (Gen 14:18-20). Commenting upon this, the writer of Hebrews said:

Now consider how great this man was unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils."(Heb 7:4).

When Jacob fled from his fathers house for fear of Esau, he slept one night out on the plains where he had a dream. In it he saw angels ascending and descending a ladder and the Lord stood above it and confirmed the covenant made with Abraham and Isaac to him. When Jacob awoke he made a vow, asking God to keep him in the way that he went, provide for his daily needs and make it possible for him to return to his father's house in peace. In return Jacob vowed:

"Then shall the Lord be my God: and this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee."((Gen. 28.22).

Jacob was evidently well acquainted with the Law of the Tithe and he recognized that it was an obligation to be kept, just as Abraham recognized that he must pay tithes. But to whom were the tithes to be paid? Leaders in the modern Christian Church have been stating that all the tithes belong to the Church, but this is not true. There was no Church in existence in Jacob's day, to whom did be pay his tithes? Part of that tithe was used for sacrificial offerings in the pursuance of religious duties, but the larger portion of it went to assist the stranger, clothe the needy and give food to the hungry. This was the work of a righteous man as he strove to relieve suffering, want and destitution. It was permissible to use the tithe for these purposes.

Job recognized his obligation to god and used at least a tithe, if not more, of his wealth for the Lord's work. While the tithe is not definitely stated in the Book of Job, the results of tithing are given when Job publicly pleads his own cause:

"If I have withheld the poor from their desire, or have caused the eyes of the widow to fail; or have eaten my morsel myself alone, and the fatherless hath not eaten thereof .... If I have seen any perish for want of clothing, or any poor without covering; If his loins have not blessed me, and if he were not warmed with the fleece of my sheep; If I have lilted up my hand against the fatherless, when I saw my help in the gate; Then let mine arm fall from my shoulder blade, and mine arm be broken from the bone." (Job 31:16-22).

When Israel was organized into a kingdom at Mount Sinai the Law of the Tithe was established as the basis of their support of national institutions and services. It was under the law establishing a double tithe that the people paid their taxes. Thus the full tithe included gifts to the Lord and charitable work, as well as taxes to finance the administration of the affairs of state. When Israel demanded a king of Samuel, God warned them that, in addition to the tithe they were paying to the Lord for worship and for charitable purposes, they would also be required to meet the levies made by their king:

"And he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers, and to his servants ... He will take the tenth of your sheep: and ye shall be his servants." (1 Sam. 8:15-17).

Thus, we have established the amount of tax that should be levied by any government against its people—one tenth of the income of the people. Today, governments have far exceeded the legal levies of one-tenth of our increase and by their excessive demands are actually confiscating the peoples' property. Through real estate, personsal income, capital gains, death duties, direct and indirect taxes, sales taxes, GST, two to five times the legal limit established by God is being collected from the people. An exhorbitant tax levy was made upon the people in the time of our Lord, so the Jews challenged Him:

"Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?" (Matt. 22:17).

Jesus was well aware of their crafty tricks so He requested them to show Him a penny. He asked them whose image and inscription was on it and they replied, "Caesar's." Jesus then said:

"Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." (Matt. 22:21).

Though the Jews had to pay tribute in excess of what would have been a just tax, they still were obliged to pay their tithe to the Lord. What was true then is true now, regardless of the demands made by the government upon its citizens. The tithe is still required by God, for no man may rob God and expect to prosper.

It will not be until the administration of justice under the righteous laws of the Kingdom of God that we may expect to have an equitable system of taxation. Until then oppression and confiscation of the possessions and earnings of men will be the order of the day under the administration of governments which exceed the God-given limits of equitable taxation. While we are compelled in this way to pay "tribute to Caesar," we must not neglect the things of God, for a tenth of our increase belongs to Him.

Under the Israel laws of administration the Levites collected the tithe, or 1/10th, from the people, and a tenth of the tithe was given to Aaron, the High Priest, for Tabernacle, and later Temple, services (Num. 13:26-23). Thus, the Church in Israel is entitled to only one-tenth of the tenth, or tithe. The balance of the tithe, or 9/10ths of the tithe, was to he used for Kingdom services and for charitable purposes.

Having arrived at this understanding, it is now necessary to consider what we shall do with the tithe today—how it shall be spent. Under Biblical law we should all tithe all of our increase, whether that increase is represented in money or in possessions. For the farmer it would be a tenth of his crops and of the livestock born to his flocks during the year, or their equivalent value in money. For the wage earner it would be a tenth of his salary or of his commissions, while the businessman would tithe his profit on every transaction or take a tithe of the year's earnings.

Deductible from the amount to be tithed would he the cost of tools a workman furnishes in earning his wages, for they would be a part of the cost contributing to his ability to earn. We have often been asked if a man may deduct his living expenses before tithing. The answer is, "No." The nine-tenths of his income remaining to the individuals after deducting the Lord's tenth, are for this purpose.

But why should we pay tithes at all? Because God has enjoined us to carry the glad tidings of the Gospel to those who are not informed about it. Today this includes both phases—personal salvation through Jesus Christ and the knowledge of the blessings of the Kingdom of God. All who believe in the Lord and desire to do His will are commissioned to carry out assigned tasks. But all cannot speak, write, publish, though everyone may give support to those who can do such work, by their financial assistance they become partners in the work being accomplished.

It is well, therefore, to carefully select those with whom we wish to be in partnership, for by supporting them with our earnings we become responsible to that extent for the kind of work they are doing. It is absolutely essential to know that those whom we support are as reliable and trustworthy as we would expect if we were to enter into a direct business relationship with them. Jesus had this type of partnership in mind when He said:

"He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me. He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward. And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward." (Matt. 10:40-42).

We have presented here an opportunity which everyone may take advantage of and receive the reward of the righteous man and prophet even though they are not qualified to actually do the work of those whom they assist. In "A Privilege and a Blessing", Destiny for March 1948, we said in part:

"If a business concern were to offer the public an opportunity to invest in its operations, basing the percentage of returns on investments according to the terms God has laid down for investments made in His work, men would be certain the Millenium had come. But Mammon cannot afford to be so generous, for it would destroy the very basis of the profitable operations upon which it thrives.

In our present economy, when a man invests $1.00 in a business venture, he only secures interest on a dollar at the currently-established interest rate, or dividends in proportion to the actual financial investment. The man investing $1,000.00 would have a thousand times more in returns that could possibly accrue from the poor man's dollar. Usually, however, Mammon would not even consider accepting so small a sum as $1.00. Such an amount would be considered ridiculous as a business investment and Mammon would be more apt to rule that the minimum investment acceptable would be $100.00.

God reverses this order, basing the value of an investment in His work, not upon the actual money invested, but upon its relationship to a man's assets. Thus, a poor man who possesses only $2.00 and invests $1.00 in Kingdom work has a 50% interest in the work according to his investment. A man of means worth $100,000.00 giving $1,000.00 to further the work of the Kingdom, would only have a 1% investment to his credit, though he gave a thousand times more than the poor man. Insofar as the actual amount of money is concerned, the poor man's gift in Kingdom assets far outweighs the wealthy man's gift because of the relationship to their respective assets.

Here is one of the most interesting lessons in the study of Divine equity, for the poor man made a far greater sacrifice when he parted with his dollar than the wealthy man did when he gave a thousand times more. Often the poor are, out of their little, laying up treasure in heaven in fact greater abundance than the wealthy who, from their abundance, give sums that seem to dwarf the donations of the poor.

But why should a work wholly devoted to spreading the Gospel of the Kingdom be in need of financial support? The worldly wise tell us it should become self-supporting, but a study of Christian witnessing proves that the true gospel has never been able to go forward without financial support from God-fearing men and women who have been willing to sacrifice in work, in giving money and in prayer. The very nature of the work the Lord has called us to do miiitates against the co-operation of Mammon and Mammon's methods since the Gospel of the Kingdom proclaims the doom of the present world economy. The work of the Lord meets increasing opposition from the foes of righteousness and Mammon knows that it is by the withholding of financial support that it can be hindered. The ordinary channels of trade that enable Mammon to conduct profitable business and pay substantial dividends do not operate to the advantage of Kingdom work to allow it to prosper. Therefore, those who bear the glad tidings of the Kingdom must secure financial support by other methods.

The activities of the early Church proved this true for, though its followers were known as the poor and were often destitute of worldly goods, they carried the Gospel to the ends of the earth. It was the work of pioneers, filled with the Spirit of the Lord, who willingly faced every type of hardship for the work's sake.

There is another—and most important—aspect to this subject. If it had been possible to carry on Kingdom activities on a paying basis, without the need of financial support, those who are interested in its program but not qualified to speak or write, would have had no opportunity to secure the blessings reserved for all co-workers in His vineyard.

Because God knew that His work would meet tremendous resistance from Mammon and all those who are unrighteous, and because He knew too that the ordinary channels of trade would be closed to His servants, He left instructions concerning its support, commanding that those who believe set aside a tenth of their increase to be used in His service. To those who prosper He commands that, in addition to the tithe, or 10% of their increase or income, they also give "free will" offerings according to their material prosperity.

Thus, a way has been provided for those who by faith believe to lay up treasure for themselves, not according to the amount given, but in accordance with its relationship to all of their assets. Under thls investment program instituted by god, the poor have as good an opportunity as the rich to acquire Kingdom assets by the investment of earthly earnings and be assured of dividends on the basis of a "hundredfold" increase in the age to come.

This is a type of investment that Mammon cannot duplicate. Only the wealthy are able to take advantage of its stock and bond offerings, but God offers to the poor and the rich alike equal opportunities to acquire Kingdom dividends. Unfortunately, the love of money prevents many of the wealthy from taking advantage of these splendid investments and our Lord pointed out the problem that would confront rich men, making it difficult for them to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. (Matt. 19:23)."

There is still another important phase to tithing. It brings the individual in closer touch with spiritual values, for no man can remain indifferent to work he is helping to finance. After all, the very first indication of a man's interest in any work is his willingness to support it financially. There are thousands who claim they are Christians but who NEVER give financial support to real Christian work and some, though they may give occasionally, do not become systematic supporters of such work. Thus, by withholding their tithes, not only are they robbing God, but their profession of faith in Christian principles and the Christian way of life has a hollow sound for they are without works. Jesus said: "Where your treasure is, then will your heart be also." (Matt. 6:21).

All those who withhold their tithes because they feel they "cannot afford" to pay so much for the support of the Lord's work will be unable to complain in the day of the Divine Assize because they receive no certificate of deposit from the keeper of the heavenly treasure. Through the tithe the way has been made easy for all, both poor and rich, to acquire equality of investment in Kingdom assets.

Jesus confirmed the necessity to keep the Law of the Tithe when He called the Scribes and Pharisees hypocrites. "For," He said, "Ye pay tithe if mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the Law, judgment, mercy, and faith." (Matt. 23:23). Following this condemnation for the failure to keep important clauses of the law, and contrasting that failure with their scrupulous observance of the tithing of small seeds, Jesus affirmed that they should continue this tithing but at the same time He called them hypocritical because they were neglecting the weightier matters of the law. Let those who think that the Law of the Tithe is non-essential take heed, for Jesus warned:

"Whosoever thereforre shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shalt be called the least in the kingdom of heaven." (Matt. 5:19).

Every Christian is expected to do at least as much as is required under the law and many are doing more. When the Kingdom is functioning in full perfection upon earth under the administration of the Commandments, Statutes and Judgments of the Lord, every citizen will be required to pay the double tithe. The first tenth wilt be divided as it is now. The second tenth will be the full tax paid to finance the administration of the affairs of state of the Kingdom of God.

From Destiny magazine, June 1948.
    Categories: Howard B. Rand

http://covenantpeoplesministry.org/f...w-of-the-Tithe

Re: Tithing

What Is the Kingdom Tithe?

by Howard B. Rand

In the Parable of the Talents (Matt. 25:14-30), Jesus made the fact clear that all that we have comes from God and He placed emphasis upon the responsibility of the individual to multiply his talents to the best of his ability. In so doing Jesus established a principle that should have its greatest impact upon the Christian. In the parable each man was given a sum to invest in the Lord's service. Those funds are our tithe.

It stated in the parable that the allocation was made to "every man according to his several ability" (Matt. 25:15). To a certain number the Lord's tithe (10% of his increase) is a substantial sum because of their wealth or earning capacity; to others it is a moderate amount; to some it may be quite small indeed (e.g. those on pensions). But in all cases the tithe is the tenth of his increase, whether one is rich or poor.

There is an aspect of the tithe that is largely overlooked but which is no less applicable today than when the instructions were originally given. To the Levites the directions from the Lord were: "When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it to the Lord, even a tenth part of the tithe ... and ye shall give thereof the Lord's heave offering to Aaron the priest." (Num. 18:26-28).

The Levitical order of priests included the governmental administrators, while the priestly order of Aaron officiated only in the tabernacle or temple. Therefore, the division of the tithe (tenth) is given as it was to be apportioned: the "heave offering for the Lord, even a tenth part of the tithe" was one tenth for tabernacle or temple (or church) purposes; nine-tenths of the tenth were for Kingdom functions.

Because the Kingdom of God is not as yet re-established upon the earth, many apparently suppose that this apportionment is not now applicable. Nothing could be further from the truth. This is the epoch during which the proclamation of the Gospel of the Kingdom is to go forth and the Kingdon tithe, all of it, should be devoted to this work. When it is withheld, or any part of it, the extension of the Kingdom evangel is correspondingly hindered.

Today there is a stirring among the people, evidenced by a greater desire to know the meaning of these days in which we live. There is a rising demand for information and this must be met in the only way which is truly effective, and that is through the written word. That involves the production of books, pamphlets and other literature, which is the work to which we and others are committed. We are the only source of the kind of literature, properly presented, that will supply the need for factual information. Our literature has brought enlightenment to a great audience of people, in many places of the world, but many more doors of opportunity are opening now, particularly in our land. To meet this heightened demand, books and booklets must be prepared, for the written word will go where the spoken word is not or cannot be heard. Furtheimore, this form of witnessing will continue long after the spoken word has receded into silence.

The matter of the use of the tithe, particularly the Kingdom Tithe, is of paramount importance to the overcomer, for the dividends which accrue from its investment will denote the place of each citizen, according to his heavenly wealth, in the restored Kingdom of God upon the earth. Let no man turn an indifferent ear to the warning of the Prophet Malachi (3:8) that to withhold the tithe is to rob God. Surely those who are fully cognizant of the importance of the Gospel of the Kingdom will not risk such a severe condemnation. Rather, let us see to it that the Kingdom work of the Lord benefits by our tithe. By so doing we will be assured that our reward in His Kingdom will be in the proportion that the Lord has promised.

Categories: Howard B. Rand

http://covenantpeoplesministry.org/f...-Kingdom-Tithe

Re: Tithing

What does the Bible say about tithing

Tithing is the practice of setting aside 10% of your increase or profits to support the work of God. The first real mention of tithe in the Bible is found in Genesis 14:20 where Abraham gives a tithe to Melchizedek.

Bible verses about tithe
    Jacob also pledges a tithe to God a few chapters later in Genesis 28:20-22, “Then Jacob made a vow, saying, ‘If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat and clothing to put on, so that I come back to my father’s house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God. And this stone which I have set as a pillar shall be God’s house, and of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You.’”

Many years later when the Israelites conquered Canaan the priests and Levites didn’t get a portion of the land for an inheritance. Therefore, their livelihood came from the tithes of the other tribes who would give a tenth of their increase to support the priesthood.

Robbing God
    God was and still is serious about tithing, even considering the withholding of tithe to be a form of robbery and theft. Malachi 3:8-9 says,

“‘Will a man rob God?
    Yet you have robbed Me!’
    But you say,
    ‘In what way have we robbed You?’
    In tithes and offerings.
    You are cursed with a curse,
    For you have robbed Me,
    Even this whole nation.”

However, consider God’s promise in Malachi 3:10,
    “‘Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,
    That there may be food in My house,
    And try Me now in this,’
    Says the Lord of hosts,
    ‘If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
    And pour out for you such blessing
    That there will not be room enough to receive it.’”

Living on only 9/10 of your total income just doesn’t make sense on paper. But people who follow the practice of tithing will tell you it works! Remember that 9/10 with God’s blessing goes much farther than 10/10 without God’s blessing.

As humans, we can be afraid of giving up a portion of our income for tithe. God knows this and He says, “Prove me!” If you put God to the test, you will find that God will take care of you and provide for all your needs.

Tithing in the New Testament
    Tithe is often considered an Old Testament practice which no longer applies to modern-day Christians. However, the New Testament teaches the exact same principles of tithing.

Matthew 23:23 says, “‘Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.’”

Paul also points out an equivalence between the way priests in the Old Testament made a living and how gospel workers in the New Testament era made a living. “Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel” (1 Corinthians 9:13-14).

Should I tithe?
    God commands His people to return a 10% tithe to support the work of the gospel. However, think about it for a moment. Why would you choose not to return a tithe? Here are just a few of promised blessings for tithe paying.

“Honor the Lord with your possessions, And with the firstfruits of all your increase; So your barns will be filled with plenty, And your vats will overflow with new wine” (Proverbs 3:9-10).

“‘Bring all the tithes into the storehouse...And try Me now in this...If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it. ‘And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, So that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, Nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field,’ Says the Lord of hosts;” (Malachi 3:10-11).

Bible verses about tithe
    A biblical tithe is a tenth of your income. It’s in the Bible, Leviticus 27:30, TLB. “A tenth of the produce of the land, whether grain or fruit, is the Lord’s, and is holy.”

What is tithe used for? In the Old Testament, the tithe was used to support the priests. It’s in the Bible, Numbers 18:20-21, NKJV. “Then the LORD said to Aaron: ‘You shall have no inheritance in their land, nor shall you have any portion among them; I am your portion and your inheritance among the children of Israel. Behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tithes in Israel as an inheritance in return for the work which they perform, the work of the tabernacle of meeting.’”

Does God need our tithe? No. It’s in the Bible, Psalm 50:10-12, NKJV. “For every beast of the forest is Mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. I know all the birds of the mountains, and the wild beasts of the field are Mine. If I were hungry, I would not tell you; for the world is Mine, and all its fullness.”

Why should I tithe? Tithing is a way of teaching us that God must be our first priority. It’s in the Bible, Deuteronomy 14:22-23, TLB. “You must tithe all of your crops every year. Bring this tithe to eat before the Lord your God at the place he shall choose as his sanctuary; this applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn of your flocks and herds. The purpose of tithing is to teach you always to put God first in your lives.”

When should I tithe? We are to return the tithe to God first—before we start spending money on other things. It’s in the Bible, Proverbs 3:9, TLB. “Honor the Lord by giving him the first part of all your income.”

Christ endorsed tithing. It’s in the Bible, Matthew 23:23, NKJV. “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.”

How does Paul say the gospel ministry is to be supported? It’s in the Bible, 1 Corinthians 9:13-14, TLB. “Don’t you realize that God told those working in his temple to take for their own needs some of the food brought there as gifts to him? And those who work at the altar of God get a share of the food that is brought by those offering it to the Lord. In the same way the Lord has given orders that those who preach the Gospel should be supported by those who accept it.”

Returning the tithe to God helps us remember that He is the owner of everything. It’s in the Bible, Psalm 24:1, NKJV. “The earth is the LORD’s, and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell therein.”

God is the source of all our wealth. It’s in the Bible, Deuteronomy 8:18, NKJV. “And you shall remember the LORD your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.”

God says we rob Him if we don’t give tithe and offerings. It’s in the Bible, Malachi 3:8, NKJV. “Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings.”

Do I tithe when in debt? We should pay what we owe to God first, and God will help us take care of our debts. It’s in the Bible, Psalm 50:14-15, NKJV. “Offer to God thanksgiving, and pay your vows to the Most High. Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me.”

What if I can’t afford to pay tithe? God promises to richly bless us if we are faithful in tithes and offerings. It’s in the Bible, Malachi 3:10, NKJV. “‘Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this,’ says the LORD of hosts, ‘If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it.’”

God owns all the money in the world. It’s in the Bible, Haggai 2:8, NKJV. “‘The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine,’ says the LORD of hosts.”

God asks us to give voluntary offerings for His work—in addition to the tithe. It’s in the Bible, Psalm 96:8, NKJV. “Give to the LORD the glory due His name; bring an offering, and come into His courts.”

We should give to God’s work willingly. It’s in the Bible, 2 Corinthians 9:7, NKJV. “So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver...”

What if I think the church is corrupted, am I still required to tithe and give offerings? The temple practices were corrupt in Christ’s day, but Jesus still recognized the offerings as for God. It’s in the Bible, Luke 21:3-4, NKJV. “So He said, ‘Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.’”

You can’t out-give God. It’s in the Bible, Luke 6:38, NKJV. “Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”

We should give in proportion to the blessing God has given us. It’s in the Bible, Deuteronomy 16:17, NKJV. “Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD your God which He has given you.”

https://www.bibleinfo.com/en/topics/tithing

Lightbulb Re: Tithing

reprinted from hosfell.org newsletter:
    Has anyone explored the many changes in the priesthood from the Levitical to the Melchizedek? Weren't most (all?) of the Levitical practices been done away with, completely, replaced or modified from old to new covenants? Why would the tithe be any different?
    Not that there is no more tithe, which in one sense has one logical point to stand on (since the only reason for the tithe was to support the tribe of Levi who had no land inheritance), but because the tithe changed from 10% to 100% under the new covenant as a restoration of the Melchizedek order that existed before the Abrahamic covenant - evidenced by the fact Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek.
    But how would this work, today, with people half-in and half out of the "kingdom of heaven" (on earth), as in still double-minded thru making the wrong choice defined in I Sam 8 resulting in a voluntary servitude under an Egyptian-type slavery because of Babylonian idolatry/whoredom (from which all of men's bankrupt money-schemes comes from)? Is it because people can't imagine how the new heavens, new earth of the new covenant was a restoration of all that Adam lost when banned from the garden? Was there money in Eden? Was there any need for buying, selling or any kind of commerce when all was given to Adam under the "dominion covenant" (trust) to tend it and bring forth increase? Isn't this "increase" the "tithe" the Creator wanted? Not to support a tribe of people, but to carry out the Creator's will?
    How would a 100% tithe work? Wouldn't that be the end of all money? How could that happen while there is still man's bankrupt babylonian usury-banking schemes going on?
    What would happen if all those who come out of their voluntary servitude and repented from (i.e came out of the plagues of Babylon)? Would that be when the "wealth of the wicked that was stored up for the righteous" be returned as inferred by the kingdom parables of the anointed-messiah, kinsman-redeemer?
    If the sons of the King don't pay taxes, but collect them, is that how a 100% tithe would work? Since we've been redeemed by so great a price, we are not to become slaves of men again, but owe no man anything except love? If our anointed king, messiah, redeemer truly ransomed us out of the world, then what are the duties we must carry out to fulfill the 100% tithe requirements to bring forth "increase" of Abba's Kingdom, here on earth? Isn't that what we are called to do as we were taught to pray: "thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven?" If we dedicated 100% of our work to that end, would that fulfill the 100% tithe requirement (crucifying self daily, always seeking the kingdom first before everything else)?
    Hope that's some useful food for thought on this most important subject. There are many more references that could be shared, but basically every kingdom parable is about kingdom banking. If one learned how trusts could be used to create "banks" that change the flow of the "interest"/increase from all property in creation to be put under the foot of the "heir of all things", who purchased the world and everything in it... would we be closer to understanding how "love" as the currency could effect Kingdom banking for turning the world right-side up again? After all, doesn't "love" overcome all, and isn't love the full duty of man under the Two Great Commandments?
    Why not dream bigger, aim higher? Why make Third Position (3P) one's new ideology in 2020? ...iows:
    What if one goes neither left, nor right, but beyond all of mankind's bankrupt traditions of religion-politics-money?
    ---- why not be with the fellowship of way-showers? (i.e. a fraternal benefit society)
    https://www.hosfell.org/single-post/way-showers