Thread: Christ on Earth through the paintings of Carl Bloch

Christ on Earth through the paintings of Carl Bloch

Carl Heinrich Bloch (1834 – 1890), Danish painter. Among many other subjects he painted with a realistic style, he produced a series of oil paintings between 1865 and 1879 depicting scenes from the New Testament account of Christ on Earth. The images and related Bible verses are best viewed by utilizing your browser's full screen function.

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. - Luke 2:10

And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
    - Matthew 3:17

"Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven." - Matthew 5:11-12

"Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein." - Luke 18:17

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." - Matthew 11:29

This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him. - John 2:11

Jesus saith unto him, "Rise, take up thy bed, and walk." - John 5:8

Jesus said unto her, "I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die." - John 11:25-26

And they came to Jerusalem: and Jesus went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves; And he taught, saying unto them, "Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? But ye have made it a den of thieves." - Mark 11:15-17

And when he knew it of the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph. And he bought fine linen, and took him down, and wrapped him in the linen, and laid him in a sepulchre which was hewn out of a rock, and rolled a stone . - Mark 15:45-46

He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. - Luke 24:6-7

"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." - John 14:1-2
    the word is truth

Re: Christ on Earth through the paintings of Carl Bloch

Thank you for posting these. I have seen some of these paintings throughout my lifetime and never knew they were all by the same artist. What amazing images and elegant detail.

*Stardust*

The craft of our folk can be downright amazing. Beautiful artwork!

Blog Entries

One word - wow.
    Gna!