Thread: throw away those pop tarts

Blog Entries

throw away those pop tarts

this is written from muslums but same point for us in Capital C Christians of CI pop tarts have pork in as well as much others i read this then went to the store got some gummy candy and found out it had pork in it in the form of gelatin here is some more

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/column/...le/muslim-food

Skittles: According to the company, Skittles changed their formula in 2010 and no longer contain gelatin. Unfortunately, Starburst, made by the same company, still do.
    Montain Dew: I'd like to take this opportunity to clear something up that is responsible for a lot of misunderstandings. It's been said that the Yellow #5 dye in Mountain Dew is derived from pork. This is not true. However, this does not mean that it's any better for you. As it turns out, Yellow #5 is derived from petroleum.
    Yogurt: I never would have thought this, but some cheaper brands of yogurt have gelatin added to make them thicker. Thankfully, the yogurt in my favorite parfaits does have it but it is made of beef, according to the factory who finally returned my phone calls after weeks of trying to talk to a human being. McDonalds yogurt parfaits also has gelatin, but the gelatin is kosher, meaning it's proven to come from other animals besides pigs. It's important to look at the ingredients when you get yogurt, as it's more common than I thought.
    Marshmallows: Just about every brand of marshmallows have gelatin in them. However, it is possible to find kosher marshmallows, which use gelatin from fish. They are harder to find, but I can have s'mores again! Marshmallow crème, which comes in a jar, also has no gelatin in it.
    Corn muffins: This is another one in the last place you'd expect. It turns out many boxed cake and muffin mixes have powdered lard or animal shortening right in the mix. The most common one out there, and the one that clued me in to this the hard way, is Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix.
    Cake frosting: This is a place I was sure I'd find a lot of shortening and gelatin, but it turns out most of the common brands have none. In fact, Betty Crocker frosting is certifited kosher. Remember to always check the ingredients, though.
    Canned beans: Baked beans, a barbecue favorite, are something that it's easy to forget contains pork. Even the ones without actual chunks of pork usually have pork cooked into the sauce. You can find vegetarian baked beans pretty easily now, and regular canned beans, like kidney, black, lima, or garbanzo beans have no animal products in them. It sounds obvious, but I've met people who hear about baked beans, and are afraid to buy any canned beans from the supermarket.
    Pills: Gel-caps, and most pills with liquid or powder come in a capsule made of gelatin. It's possible to find vegetable capsules, usually called v-caps, but if you don't know it's usually gelatin.
    Gummi bears: Almost all gummy candies have gelatin in them. There are a few exceptions, like Dots, but be sure (as I've hopefully beaten into you by now) to read the ingredients.
    Pop-Tarts: I'm sorry to have to say this, but Pop-tarts have gelatin in them, too.

Blog Entries

Re: throw away those pop tarts

also just found some old corn bread mix in the pantry throw that out as well they have lard and animal shortening in it i really did not know

Thank You for this information. I have stopped buying processed foods for this reason. One must really watch food labels, as most are misleading. I stay with fruits and vegetables, fish and steak on occasion. I simply do not trust food manufactures these days, and steer clear of frozen or processed foods.

Today's society relies on factory processed foods too much.

Grow as many veggies as you can.

I confess that I dig the brown sugar and cinnamon Pop Tarts.