Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polygamy & Monogamy: The Debate Continues!

Re: Polygamy & Monogamy: The Debate Continues!

Just because our predecessors’ life choices are recorded in the bible does not qualify their choices as sound doctrine. The doctrines of Jesus are the only doctrines to follow, according to our Father:

Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, I will make three tabernacles here, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah." While he was still speaking, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, "This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; LISTEN TO HIM!" (Matthew 17:4-5)

Yahweh elevated the teachings of His beloved Son above the Law (Moses) and the Prophets (Elijah) and commanded us to follow the teachings of Jesus above all else. What did Jesus say about marriage?

The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, “Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?” And he answered and said unto them, “Have ye not read, that he which made [them] at the beginning made them male and female, and said, ‘For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh’? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.”

They say unto him, “Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?” He saith unto them, “Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.”
    (Matthew 19:3-9)

Jesus said that the reason Moses allowed divorce was because of the hardness of men’s hearts. This would seem to apply to polygamy, as well. According to Jesus, it has always been Yahweh’s will from the beginning that a man and a woman would become ONE FLESH and never be separated by anyone (including another wife).

How could a man remain biblically ONE FLESH with his wife if she weren’t the only one he had?
    But on that day I will set apart the land of Goshen, where My people are living...in order that you may know that I, the LORD, am in the midst of the land. I will make a clear distinction between your people and My people....

The only place it did not hail was the land of Goshen, where the Israelites were. ...And there was thick darkness in all the land of Egypt for three days...but all the sons of Israel had light in their dwellings.

Exodus 8:22-23, 9:26, 10:22-23

Would you consider this a teaching on polygamy or have overtones of polygamy?
    Matthew 25:1:Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. - KJV

I feel God intends one man to marry one woman.

The ratio of males to females sort of proves this.

Which wife would a man love more in a Polygamy relationship if he has too many wives,which one would be more Important? -

Matthew 6:24:No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. - KJV

That verse isn't exactly a verse on Polygamy - but still the same ''for either he will hate the one, and love the other''

Obadiah 1:18

Quote Originally Posted by malachi83 View Post
    Would you consider this a teaching on polygamy or have overtones of polygamy?
    Matthew 25:1:Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. - KJV
    Polygamy only in the sense of spiritual polygamy, since we'll all be wedded to Christ spiritually in the Kingdom of Heaven.

If we take the parable literally, that the ten virgins were going to marry one man simultaneously, then it flies in the face of both Scripture and common sense. According to Scripture, marriage is consummated through the sexual act, so that means the groom would have to have sex with all ten women on the wedding night. I would venture to say that this was physically impossible. Then there's the emotional problems, jealousy, envy, resentment, to name a few, that would arise from his professing his love to ten women at once, not to mention the likelihood of his and their contracting a sexually transmitted disease, just one of the many pitfalls of having multiple sex partners.

Polygamy doesn't work no matter how you look at it. And the thing that really irks me about all of this pro-polygamy nonsense is that it takes love, i.e. romantic love and lifelong commitment, out of the marriage equation entirely, reducing it to something akin to a cattle farmer at a sale yard, trying to figure out how many head of beef he needs to buy to produce the optimum number of cattle.

On the way into this world, our soul was born in two
    Searching for you, I been searching for you
    Where ya been, where ya running to
    Where ya got to go, what ya got to do
    Don't care where were going, just wanna be with you
    Put your head on my shoulder, tell me what you been through
    When I lose my focus, you remind me of the truth
    Lift us up to the heavens, for a birds eye view

One woman for me
    Other half of my soul, you're my queen
    One woman for me
    Other half of my soul, roots of my tree

So smart and sharp, oh so lovely
    And a beauty shine bright, yes you're there for me
    Keep the ways of our fathers, how it use to be
    Moving forward, don't mean erase our history
    Look to your ways, and see a girl who wants to do the right thing
    Dedicated to a life, bigger than you or me
    Build a temple in our hearts, for his majesty
    Stay simple, serve god, and keep our deeds clean

What does Scripture say about Polygamy?

In Matt. 19:4 we are told by Jesus that God created one “male and [one] female” and joined them in marriage. Mark 10:6-8:"But from the beginning of the creation, God 'made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, 'and the two shall become one flesh'; so then they are no longer two, but one flesh.
    The two as one is the pattern on how marriage was to be conducted from the start. NOT three or four as one.

Eve was taken from Adams body and given back to him as his wife (singular) showing God’s approval of what the marriage union is to be like. God always spoke of man's “wife,” as singular, not wives. Notice it also states one father one mother.

It wasn’t until sin made man fall (Gen. 4:23) that polygamy occurs. Cain was cursed, Lamech is a descendent of Cain and the first to practice polygamy. The first time polygamous relationship is found in the Bible is with a thriving rebellious society in sin; when a murderer named “Lamech [a descendant of Cain] took for himself two wives” (Gen.4:19, 23).

The same Godly pattern of one man and one wife is lived by Noah. At the time of the Ark (Gen. 7:7), Noah took his one wife into the ark, all his son’s took one wife; God called Noah’s family righteous and pure. If polygamy were ordained of God, it would have made sense that Noah and his sons would have taken additional wives with them to repopulate the earth faster from the cataclysm.

This was to be a permanent union between man and woman that they might be helpful to one another (Genesis 2:18). Marriage represents a relationship of both spiritual and physical unity.

Hebrews 13:3-4: “Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge.”

We have examples of saints in the Old Testament going off the commandment i.e Solomon, but this is not God approved. Many of the patriarchs took more than one wife. Abraham, by recommendation of Sarah, took her maid. Jacob was tricked through Laban, into taking Leah first, and then Rachel, to whom he had been betrothed. polygamy was not wrong in ancient cultures, but was a departure from the divine institution that God ordained.

In the Bible I count 15 examples of polygamy from the time of Lamech to 931 A.D. 13 of these men had enough power that no one could call into question their practice, they were unaccountable or no one dared approach them. Lamech Genesis 4:19; Abraham Genesis 16; Esau Genesis 26:34; 28:9; Jacob Genesis 29:30; Ashur 1 Chronicles 4:5; Gideon Judges 8:30; Elkanah 1 Samuel 1:2; David 1 Samuel 25:39-44; 2 Samuel 3:2-5; 5:13; 1 Chronicles 14:3; Solomon 1 Kings 11:1-8; Rehoboam 2 Chronicles 11:18-23; Abijah 2 Chronicles 13:21; Jehoram 2 Chronicles 21:14; Joash 2 Chronicles 24:3; Ahab 2 Kings 10; Jehoiachin 2 Kings 24:15; Belshazzar Daniel 5:2; 1 Chronicles 2:8; Hosea in Hosea 3:1,2. Polygamy is mentioned in the Mosaic law and made inclusive on the basis of legislation, and continued to be practiced all down through the period of Jewish history to the Captivity, after which there is no instance of it on record (Gen.29:15-30, Jacob and his wives.)

Was Abraham, David Solomon condemned or approved for practicing polygamy? Well they certainly did not get blessed for it! The fact that every polygamist in the Bible like David and Solomon (1 Chron. 14:3) were punished. This should be evidence that this is not God’s will.

God never condoned polygamy but like divorce he allowed it to occur and did not bring an immediate punishment for this disobedience. Deut. 17:14-17: “I will set a king over me like all the nations that are around me,' “you shall surely set a king over you whom the LORD your God chooses; one from among your brethren you shall set as king over you; you may not set a foreigner over you, who is not your brother. But he shall not multiply horses for himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt to multiply horses, for the LORD has said to you, 'You shall not return that way again.' “Neither shall he multiply wives for himself, lest his heart turn away; nor shall he greatly multiply silver and gold for himself.” This is the command of God, and he has never changed it.

1 Kings 11:3 says Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines violating the principle of monogamy that he was given through the law of Moses. Consider that Solomon at one time was the wisest man in the world. In I Kings 11:4: “For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.” Notice Solomon became a polytheist because he was influenced in polygamy. In his case many wives, became many gods. Scripture has always commanded monogamy (Ps.128:3; Prov. 5:18; 18:22; 19:14; 31:10-29; Eccl. 9:9).

The fact is that God never commanded polygamy or divorce. Scripture says (Bible) He only permitted it because of the hardness of their hearts (Deut. 24:1; Matt. 19:8). Matt. 5:31-32: “Furthermore it has been said, “Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce. But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.” God hates divorce as well as polygamy, since it destroys the family (Mal. 2:16). Whatever the patriarchs or any Christian did wrong does not change the fact the Bible condemns it.

There are some stipulations in the law that are connected to this subject. Matt. 22:24: “Teacher, Moses said that if a man dies, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife and raise up offspring for his brother.” This is based on the commandment found in Deut. 25:5-6: “If brothers dwell together, and one of them dies and has no son, the widow of the dead man shall not be married to a stranger outside the family; her husband's brother shall go in to her, take her as his wife, and perform the duty of a husband's brother to her. “And it shall be that the firstborn son which she bears will succeed to the name of his dead brother, that his name may not be blotted out of Israel. ”

Multiple wives was tolerated but never with God's approval. Jesus told the Judeans, "Because of your hardness of heart, Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way" (Matthew 19:3-8). The Mosaic law aimed at mitigating, rather than removing, evils that were inseparable from the state of society in that day. Its enactments were directed to the discouragement of polygamy; to prevent the injustice frequently consequent upon the exercise of the rights of a father or a master; to bring divorce under some restriction; and to enforce purity of life during the maintenance of the matrimonial bond.

The Bible says adultery is not a choice, one does not have to acquire another wife to solve his urges. Jesus said if you look upon another woman with desire (married or not) it is adultery, a sin.

Paul insisted that a leader in the church should be “the husband of one wife,” a deacon or elder must have one wife... Titus 1:6.

The New Testament teaches that, “Each man [should] have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband” (1 Cor. 7:2). Monogamous marriage teaches us the type of the relation Christ has between himself and His bride, the church (Eph. 5:31-32). The church is called the bride, collectively as one (singular) each person is not a bride, as in plurality of wives and marriages.

How many wives did Adam have in Gen.2:24? One, God did not take two wives out from his side. Monogamy has always been God's standard for the human race. From the very beginning God set the pattern by creating a monogamous marriage relationship -one man and one woman, Adam and Eve (Gen. 1:27; 2:21-25). It cannot be interpreted he became one with “each wife”; then this would mean he would be a husband to each, committing adultery. God certainly could have made two or more wives for Adam, this would have endorse the idea of polygamy, but he made only one.

The Bible clearly and decidedly states that God does not condone or allow the practice of polygamy over and over again.

You can't be a Religious leader and be in a relationship that involves Polygamy..

1 Timothy 3:12:Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. - KJV

1 Timothy 3:2:A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; - KJV

Marriage isn’t a casualty of our economy
    by Frank Azzurro

Marriage and long-term relationships face a difficult future not because of the economy, but because we’ve trashed the idea of sex as a means to an end — the family. A culture shift in the 1960s and 1970s allowed people to trivialize sex, but the process started long before, and the “sexual revolution” was more the seams of our formerly great culture bursting.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it also causes people who have been affected by these problems to assume that institutions in and of themselves are faulty due to the end result of societal problems, rather than looking at root causes.

For example: America wins World War II. The economy booms. People have plenty of money and resources. Pleased with ourselves, we realize it was wrong to disallow certain people to vote, and wrong to discriminate – this country of plenty can provide for anyone, so everyone should have a say in how it’s run.

As other writers in this blog have noted, however, this “revolution” really began in 1789, a result of The Enlightenment.

Even science and medicine fell prey to this new paradigm of throwing out all the old methods, even the ones that worked. Psychologists pandered to children, coddling egos instead of using disciplinary measures to address problems. Nurses told mothers to pump out their breast milk and throw it away in favor of formula.

Society put the cart before the horse, because we assumed that external things like institutions regulated results, not intentions/nature/moral standing.

And how did all that feminism, liberation, etc. work out in 2010?

As long as marriage remains an institution designed to suck the lifeblood out of men for the benefit of lawyers, the government and women, it will continue to weaken until it meets its well-deserved demise.

[+] | The Spearhead
    OK, there’s a couple of things going on here, per the writer: marriage is parasitic, and it will “continue to weaken until it meets its well-deserved demise”.

Again, cart before horse: marriage is parasitic when waged by parasites, but wonderful and joyful in the hands of those competent of building lives with others. As for well-deserved demise, seems like alarmist hype to anyone capable of a real relationship.

Sex and pleasure are means to an end, much like displeasure and pain are means to an end. These force us to evolve, grow, develop technology — but when we look back, humanity suffered through more than we could tolerate today.

Statistically, marriage may be fading with this recession, but it’s not the economy killing it:

Recently released Census Bureau figures reveal that in 2009 the proportion of married Americans fell lower than ever, dropping 5% in the last 9 years alone. Compared to 57% in 2000, today only 52% of all adults are married. The institution of marriage is crumbling under a combined feminist and federal assault, which has legislated it into something that is roughly the opposite of what it used to be.

…if current trends continue, marriage will cease to exist within roughly twenty years.

[+] | The Spearhead
    Seems a bit alarmist. There are plenty of happily married people out there. Since the beginning of our focus on individual “freedom”, many have rutted like pigs in sex, food, whatever strikes their fancy. The rest, a dwindling minority, cling to supposedly outdated traditions like education, marriage, religion, practical knowledge, and fitness.

We can draw a parallel between dwindling marriage rates and student loans. Once you make it easy for students to get a loan, almost irrespective of the students’ ability to pay it back, tuition rates increase. Why? Because college boards are savvy enough to know that easy money means higher costs are tolerated. Then the very idea of education is cheapened, such that students are just bags of money with dollar signs on them.

Similarly, with marriage, if you pass legislation that makes it easy to divorce in a time when plenty of bitter and broken people want to do so, of course you’ll see the divorce rate skyrocket. The lawyers, politicians, etc. referenced by the author were a product of the times, not villainous predators looking to cheapen an institution as a cause toward a greater goal.

People have become increasingly short-sighted, and lack the quality which allows marriage to flourish between two individuals. They are trained, in part, to be this way by media, selfish parents, and an educational system that spits them out like assembly-line automatons after passing a series of standardized tests.

The cheapening of all institutions is a result of a culture shift away from community and core values formerly shared by many. When you’re done marrying and procreating, then regretting it, you’ll possibly have messed-up kids with absentee landlords as parents, but at least you’ll get to go camping with your buddies, go to concerts, drink beer, and pursue all your career ambitions with day care right there to raise the products of a marriage that probably shouldn’t have existed in the first place.

Rather than cheering the destruction of the institution while it crumbles around us, as the writer of the aforementioned article suggests, we should rather reshape our culture such that the lawyers and politicians need not concern themselves with marriage.

Marriage isn’t the cause of problems; neither is the economy the cause of marriage in decline. We should instead look toward our attitude that it’s better to make life easier for ourselves as individuals than strive for what is right and honorable. Let’s not use generalizations to confuse what marriage is to many people today with what it can be to the right people.

http://www.amerika.org/

I'm not sure this is a direct Commandment against Polygamy,I guess it could be used in a way..

Exodus 20:17:Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's. - KJV

''thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife''

Covet - 1. To feel blameworthy desire for (that which is another's).
    2. To wish for longingly.