Thread: Covenant with Abraham

Covenant with Abraham

A question about Genesis 15-18:-

In Genesis 15/16? God counts Abraham as righteous and then immediately following we read of God 'cutting' a covenant with him. I take this to be the covenant ceremony itself (Jeremiah 34 also describes a similar 'cutting' ceremony many years later).

In this chapter the covenant mentions a land promise for him and his descendants, etc.

Thirteen? years later God comes to Abraham at 99 years of age and says that he will establish His covenant with him etc.
    We then read some more details about Abraham having to keep the covenant and instructions concerning circumcision (the covenant token).

I believe that these two mentions of covenant thirteen years apart, are simply God confirming once again to Abraham His covenant to him (which He 'cut' 13 years earlier) and that this later mention of covenant is not another covenant "established" with Abraham.
    To me the repetition of God's announcement to Abraham is simply saying to him that He will keep his covenant promise even though Abraham has not yet had the son/heir which God had earlier promised.

Am I correct about this being the same covenant i.e. one covenant?

Re: Covenant with Abraham

Quote Originally Posted by K-2 View Post
    A question about Genesis 15-18:-

In Genesis 15/16? God counts Abraham as righteous and then immediately following we read of God 'cutting' a covenant with him. I take this to be the covenant ceremony itself (Jeremiah 34 also describes a similar 'cutting' ceremony many years later).

In this chapter the covenant mentions a land promise for him and his descendants, etc.

Thirteen? years later God comes to Abraham at 99 years of age and says that he will establish His covenant with him etc.
    We then read some more details about Abraham having to keep the covenant and instructions concerning circumcision (the covenant token).

I believe that these two mentions of covenant thirteen years apart, are simply God confirming once again to Abraham His covenant to him (which He 'cut' 13 years earlier) and that this later mention of covenant is not another covenant "established" with Abraham.
    To me the repetition of God's announcement to Abraham is simply saying to him that He will keep his covenant promise even though Abraham has not yet had the son/heir which God had earlier promised.

Am I correct about this being the same covenant i.e. one covenant?

You are absolutely correct.