Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Catholicism & Catholics - What’s the deal?

govnn.com

Defense of the inquisition

"Originally published in the November 1999 issue of The Angelus magazine, this article is a timely defense of a much misunderstood chapter of history in the Catholic Church

Jean-Claude Dupuis is a historian currently working on his PhD in History at Laval University in Quebec, Canada."

By Jean-Claude Dupuis

Quote:
    The alleged horrors of the Inquisition generally come at the head of the list of the arguments of the enemies of the Church. Voltaire spoke of "that bloody tribunal, that dreadful memorial to monkish power." 1 The black legend of the Inquisition has impregnated our minds to a point where, today, the majority of Catholics are incapable of defending this phase of the history of the Church. At best, they justify it by invoking the mores of the period which were so much more barbarous than those of our "enlightened" era. More often, they join the chorus of the anticlericals to attack the tribunal of the Holy Office.

In his letter on the jubilee of the Year 2000, the Holy Father himself denounces the Inquistion:

Another painful chapter of history to which the sons and daughters of the Church must return with a spirit of repentance is that of the acquiescence given, especially in certain centuries, to intolerance and even the use of violence in the service of truth. (§35)2
    Defense of the Inquisition

More...

Re: Catholicism & Catholics - What’s the deal?

“The righteous mother of the seven children spake also as follows to her offspring: I was a pure virgin, and went not beyond my father’s house; but I took care of the built-up rib. No destroyer of the desert, or ravisher of the plain, injured me; nor did the destructive, deceitful, snake, make spoil of my chaste virginity; and I remained with my husband during the period of my prime.” (4 Maccabees 18:7-8)

Basically, it is the question whom you will worship - God or man?

In a sound Christian church the head of the church is Lord Jesus Christ, the husband, the church is the bride, and the clergy from the highest in rank to the lowest in rank stand before Lord Jesus Christ for the church.

In Catholic church the head of the church is man, unto whom the attributes pertaining solely to Lord God Jehovah, Lord Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit are transferred, who claims to be without error in questions of faith, and who is increasingly worshiped as god. At the same time we Christians know, that man is a sinful and erring creature, man's righteousness is as filthy rags before Lord God Jehovah, and even Lord Jesus Christ himself, being the only begotten of Lord God Jehovah Son of God and God refused worship of men, so did apostles of Lord Jesus Christ. This means the Catholic house is erring in questions of faith, as it is written:

Exodus 20:1-6
    And God spake all these words, saying,
    I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
    Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
    Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
    And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Thus only the Trinitarian God of nations, Lord God Jehovah, Lord Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit should be worshiped in Christian churches.

At the end of times the question will be decided once and for all: those who chose to worship man, and repent not of their errors, will worship the antichrist, the last pope of Rome. Those who chose to worship God and remain faithful to Lord Jesus Christ will be saved.
    Last edited by Crossman; 02-22-2016 at 11:06 AM.

The Pope John Paul II is also on record as saying that he (and the Catholic Church Universal) believes in a form of evolution. The Pope is the man considered to be the 'spiritual leader' of one-sixth of the planets population (that being the one-billion Catholics worldwide).

News item:

POPE SUPPORTS EVOLUTION
    Fundamental Baptist News Service
    October 24, 1996
    David W. Cloud

Pope John Paul II, in a message to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences this week, has stated that the theory of evolution is more than a hypothesis and that it must be taken seriously by Christians (Vatican Information Service, October 23, 1996). The Pontifical Academy's annual meeting, being held at the Vatican October 22-26 [1996], is dedicated to the theme "The Origin and Early Evolution of Life: Reflection on Science at the Dawn of the Third Millennium."

The Pontifical Academy was founded as the Accademia dei Lincei in 1603. When the institution was restored in October 1936 by Pope Pius XI, it received its current name.

The pope [John Paul II] reminded the Academy that the Roman Catholic Church has long given tentative approval to the theory of evolution. He cited a 1950 papal encyclical entitled "Humani Generis" by Pius XII, which "considered the doctrine of 'evolutionism' as a serious hypothesis, worthy of a more deeply studied investigation and reflection on a par with the opposite hypothesis. ... Today, more than a half century after this encyclical, new knowledge leads us to recognize in the theory of evolution more than a hypothesis. ... The convergence, neither sought nor induced, of results of work done independently one from the other, constitutes in itself a significant argument in favor of this theory" (Vatican Information Service, Oct. 23, 1996).
    Guess what the so-called "opposite hypothesis" that the above quote by Pope Pius XII is? Yep, it is that God is creator. To the Pope, the Creator God is an "opposite hypothesis" to evolution, and he deems the evolution lie to be "worthy of a more deeply studied investigation and reflection"!!! It's enough to make you sick; no wonder Catholicism is a dead soulless religion and the Catholic Church a house of idolatry!

A Criticism of Roman Catholicism (with Bill Finck & Mark Downey);

[MP3]http://recordings.talkshoe.com/TC-67332/TS-631197.mp3[/MP3]

DOWNLOAD

The head of the the traditionalist Society of St Pius X has described Jewish people “enemies of the Church."

Bishop Bernard Fellay, the society’s superior general, said that Jewish leaders' support of the Second Vatican Council “shows that Vatican II is their thing, not the Church’s."

Read More: Cork bishop says Church will not reject people who use contraception, have premarital sex

The society's superior general claimed that those opposed to Rome granting canonical recognition to the SSPX have been “the enemies of the Church: the Jews, the Masons, the modernists."

He said these people, “who are outside of the Church, who over centuries have been enemies of the Church."

Bishop Felley made the comments during a talk at at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Academy in New Hamburg, Ontario, Canada.

Read More: Gap between Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland down to just three per cent

The Society of St. Pius X was founded by Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre in 1970 in response to what he described as errors that had crept into the church after the second Vatican council. The organization's relations with Rome became strained in 1988 after Archbishop Lefebvre consecrated four bishops against the orders of Pope John Paul II.

Pope Benedict XVI has declared that the SSPX has no canonical status in the Catholic Church.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Tra...#ixzz2HJOYIcVj

1.Purgatory does not exist, is not in the Bible, and nullifies Jesus' sacrifice for us on the cross. If purgatory were true, Christ died for nothing, because that would mean that we could go to purgatory and pay for our own sins. Purgatory negates the death, burial, resurrection and ascention of Jesus Christ. There is NOTHING we can do to add to or detract from Christs' atonement for our sins. Ephesians 2:5 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God-not of works, so that no one can boast".

2.Praying to saints and to Mary. Only God is omnipresent and omniscient and can hear the prayers of each indiviual who is praying at the same time. We do not need the "help" of the saints and Mary to reach God. Jesus taught us to say "Our Father, Who art in heaven..." NOT "saint whoever".

3.Mary is not co-redemptress. She was not "the immaculate conception". Neither was her mother. Both women were born the ordinary way. The ONLY ONE who was ever conceived without sexual relations was Jesus. She is NOT "The queen of heaven". She is the mother of the humanity of Jesus. She is NOT the "Mother of God"

4.The bread and the wine do not turn into the actual body and blood of Jesus. Luke 22:19 "This is my body."...Jesus is standing in his body. The bread He is holding cannot be His body. It MUST be a SYMBOL of His body. "This cup is the new covenant in my blood.".....Jesus is standing with His blood coursing through His arteries and veins. Therefore the wine MUST be a SYMBOL of His blood.

5."There is one mediator between God and man, the Man Christ Jesus". Our sins are to be confessed to God through Jesus, not to a priest. "Our Father, who art in heaven,........ AND FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US." No priest involved. Jesus did not teach to confess to a priest, but to God in Jesus name.

6.Peter was NOT the "first pope". The "Rock" that Jesus refered to as the rock upon which He will build His church was Peter's confession,"Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God", not Peter himself. Peter's name means 'pebble'. The confession is a 'boulder'.Christ's church is built upon the confession.

7.The pope is not the "Vicar of Christ." He does not represent Christ on earth. He is not infallible, whether he speaks "in the chair", or ex cathedra, "out of the chair".Church doctrines that are based on his pronouncements are invalid because they do not have the power or authorship of God.

8.Jesus is not still on the cross as your crucifixes depict. He is risen, the cross is empty. His sacrifice was "once for all". He is not being continually sacrificed. He sits at the right hand of God interceding for the saints. He is not on the cross.

9.The word "saints" refers to all Christians, not to certain "holy" people. Paul continually refers to us as "saints" There was no such thing as 'canonization' of saints at that time. All Christians are living saints'

10. pope/pontiff , priests, nuns,... not Biblical. (Julius Caesar was Pontifex Maximus in 63BC)

11. celibacy of priests/nuns ...not Biblical. (church leaders urged to have wife and children)

12.Hail Mary, rosary beads, novenas ... not Biblical. Vain repetitions. (from Chaldean religion - Babylonish)

13. icons & statues ... not Biblical. (idolatry & graven images forbidden)

14.infant baptism ... not Biblical. (False security.. baptism is for believers)

15. The Ten Commandments:

Protestant:

1. You shall have no other gods but me.
    2, You shall not make unto you any graven images
    3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain
    4. You shall remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
    5. Honor your mother and father
    6. You shall not murder
    7. You shall not commit adultery
    8. You shall not steal
    9. You shall not bear false witness
    10.You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor

Catholic Ten Commandments:

1. I, the Lord, am your God. You shall not have other gods besides me.
    2. You shall not take the name of the Lord God in vain
    3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day
    4. Honor your father and your mother
    5. You shall not kill
    6. You shall not commit adultery
    7. You shall not steal
    8. You shall not bear false witness
    9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife
    10.You shall not covet your neighbor's good.

Notice the difference between # 2 and #10. The Catholics omitted #2 (Thou shall not make for yourself any graven image). To make up for the lack of #2, split #10 in half to make two commandments out of one.
    “The righteous mother of the seven children spake also as follows to her offspring: I was a pure virgin, and went not beyond my father’s house; but I took care of the built-up rib. No destroyer of the desert, or ravisher of the plain, injured me; nor did the destructive, deceitful, snake, make spoil of my chaste virginity; and I remained with my husband during the period of my prime.” (4 Maccabees 18:7-8)

Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?

Pope Francis has had a busy week at World Youth Day in Rio as he visited his slums and prisons, blessed the Olympic flag and brought three million people to Copacabana Beach for a final Mass on Sunday morning. Now he has made another headline, this time when the pontiff said, "Who am I to judge a gay person?" While taking questions from reporters on the plane back to Rome, Francis spoke about gays and the reported "gay lobby." According to the Wall Street Journal, the Pope's comments about homosexuality came in the context of a question about gay priests.

The pontiff broached the delicate question of how he would respond to learning that a cleric in his ranks was gay, though not sexually active. For decades, the Vatican has regarded homosexuality as a "disorder," and Pope Francis' predecessor Pope Benedict XVI formally barred men with what the Vatican deemed "deep-seated" homosexuality from entering the priesthood. "Who am I to judge a gay person of goodwill who seeks the Lord?" the pontiff said, speaking in Italian. "You can't marginalize these people."

John Allen of the National Catholic Reporter reported on the meeting as well and said the Pope also addressed the question of the Vatican's reported "gay lobby".

He hasn’t run into significant resistance to reform inside the Vatican, and joked that if there really is a “gay lobby” he hasn’t yet seen it stamped on anyone’s ID cards.

Father James Martin, S.J. who is an admirer of Francis, said that the pontiff's comment about gay people is consistent with the rest of his papacy.

"One of Francis's hallmarks is an emphasis on mercy, which you see in that response. That mercy, of course, comes from Jesus. And we can never have too much of it."

The pope did not offer much hope for those advocating for women Catholic priests, according to Allen at NCR, saying: Pope John Paul II “definitively … closed the door' to women priests.

More from the Associated Press:
    ABOARD THE PAPAL AIRCRAFT — Pope Francis reached out to gays on Monday, saying he wouldn't judge priests for their sexual orientation in a remarkably open and wide-ranging news conference as he returned from his first foreign trip. "If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?" Francis asked. His predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, signed a document in 2005 that said men with deep-rooted homosexual tendencies should not be priests. Francis was much more conciliatory, saying gay clergymen should be forgiven and their sins forgotten. Francis' remarks came Monday during a plane journey back to the Vatican from his first foreign trip in Brazil. He was funny and candid during a news conference that lasted almost an hour and a half. He didn't dodge a single question, even thanking the journalist who raised allegations reported by an Italian newsmagazine that one of his trusted monsignors was involved in a scandalous gay tryst. Francis said he investigated and found nothing to back up the allegations. Francis was asked about Italian media reports suggesting that a group within the church tried to blackmail fellow church officials with evidence of their homosexual activities. Italian media reported this year that the allegations contributed to Benedict's decision to resign. While stressing Catholic social teaching that calls for homosexuals to be treated with dignity and not marginalized, Francis said it was something else entirely to conspire to use private information for blackmail or to exert pressure. Francis was responding to reports that a trusted aide was involved in an alleged gay tryst a decade ago. He said he investigated the allegations according to canon law and found nothing to back them up. But he took journalists to task for reporting on the matter, saying the allegations concerned matters of sin, not crimes like sexually abusing children. And when someone sins and confesses, he said, God not only forgives but forgets. "We don't have the right to not forget," he said.

source--
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3669635.html

Nicea was about a number of things set forth by Constantine to be "settled" (one of Constantine's first moves to make the Church "catholic").

The canon was one of those things, but you are very much correct in that by the time of the council, the pertinent scriptures had been determined by usage and there was very little debate necessary. The Church leaders had been taking the matter seriously since the Marcion situation, so had 150 years to get it sorted out before Constantine convened the Council.

Surprised Nun Gives Birth!

Surprised Nun Gives Birth
    Insists she had no idea she was pregnant, names kid after pope

By John Johnson, Newser Staff
    Posted Jan 20, 2014 10:36 AM CST

(Newser) – In a not-so surprising development, a woman in Italy has named her newborn son after the pope. In a more surprising development, she happens to be a nun. The 31-year-old in Reiti went to the hospital complaining of stomach pains and reportedly rejected the doctors' crazy suggestion that she was about to have a baby, reports the Telegraph. "It's not possible, I'm a nun," the Italian press quotes her as saying. They were right, she was wrong, and little Francis soon entered the world, reports the BBC.

The unidentified woman worked in an old folks' home, but the assumption is that she got pregnant on a visit to her homeland of El Salvador. "It seems she was not able to resist temptation," says the wise mother superior of her convent. Or former convent: The local bishop says she's getting the boot for breaking her vow of chastity. The diocese and local residents are collecting donations for the newly formed family.

http://www.newser.com/story/180933/s...gn=rss_topnews