Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pharmaceutical medicine and the biblical law?

Pharmaceutical medicine and the biblical law?

Anyone know whether or not its allowed by biblical law? Would it qualify as sorcerie as stated in Revelation 9:21? To an extent imo modern day meds such as depressants or opiates are about the only thing man has been able to develop that could in a sense alter god design of human emotion. Let say someone has have anxiety (a feeling god meant man kind to have at times) then they pop a xanax and the anxiety goes away, would that be considered playing god? or what if someone has depression or feels sad (two other feeling god meant man kind to have) and they medicate their way out is that still playing god?

Personally, I have mild insomnia at times and take a non prescription med to help me sleep, but with only the sole intention to help me sleep and not to commit sorcerie does that still make me a sinner? How about taking tylenol for a cold and so on?

Re: Pharmaceutical medicine and the biblical law?

This could be an interesting discussion.

I personally feel Yahweh wants us to do all we can to improve ourselves. The apostle Luke was considered a "medical doctor" and still chosen of Christ although their methods were more holistic back in Yahsua's day. I favor the natural.

I think Yahweh has given us all we need but it's up to man to find the right combination.

I see where your coming from, but wouldn't all meds be considered holistic? I mean whether one is drinking an herbal tea or poping a perscription pill is not everything made from natural ingredient that originate from the earth? As of right now I do agree with finding the right combination.

Quote Originally Posted by FollowerofYAHWEH View Post
    Anyone know whether or not its allowed by biblical law? Would it qualify as sorcerie as stated in Revelation 9:21? To an extent imo modern day meds such as depressants or opiates are about the only thing man has been able to develop that could in a sense alter god design of human emotion. Let say someone has have anxiety (a feeling god meant man kind to have at times) then they pop a xanax and the anxiety goes away, would that be considered playing god? or what if someone has depression or feels sad (two other feeling god meant man kind to have) and they medicate their way out is that still playing god?

Personally, I have mild insomnia at times and take a non prescription med to help me sleep, but with only the sole intention to help me sleep and not to commit sorcerie does that still make me a sinner? How about taking tylenol for a cold and so on?
    I guess if meds were there and we needed them for certain reasons whether insomnia or depression etc etc - we would need them,I mean how could you move on?
    If your depressed you would just get worse if you don't take your meds,right? and insomina won't get any better...
    The same for epilepsy and diabetes there is meds for that and if we don't take it in some cases we die and how does that help us?
    Anxiety I guess people take mdes for that if their cases are out of hand and they can't find an easy way to calm down while other people can find a way to deal with anxiety..
    We don't commit any sin or unnatural act in my opinion when taking medication.
    I don't think any of this is sorcery...
    The definiton of Sorcery is:Use of supernatural power over others through the assistance of spirits; witchcraft. -
    If meds stop you from dying and help make you better or improve your condition is that sorcery?
    Mes are man made but didn't God give us everything on earth?

genesis 1: 11-12: 11And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

12And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

genesis 1: 29-30: 29And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

30And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

- King James Version

James 5:14-15.... Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:15And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

To what I could make of this verse is that we must soley rely on the power of god to heal our sicknesses therefore Im puzzled if one was is in dire need of medical attention like a gun shot wound, stab wound etc.. what is one to do?

A reason I believe it could be socerie is because if you notice all pharmaceutical grade drugs use or fall under the "caduceus" symbole which is of a cross (or phallic rod as some suggest) with two serpants entwined around it. This by some occultists represents satans victory over Jesus's death on the cross also in the old egyptian culture it was a symbole of the pagan god "hermes" the so-called "god of healing". This is my dilemma of this, the fact that we use medicine that closely mimics the things that only god could do, but alot of the time with the same end result.

Satan could of very well gave the people that pioneered these drugs the knowledge to create them, these drugs that we so commonly use. Originally (as we read in the bible) we relied on YAHWEH's healing, yet today in the 21 st century about 98 plus percent of people today rely on these drugs bearing the "caduceus" symbole to heal their sicknesses or save their lives. Its as if YAHWEH's been completely taken out of the picture. Just because this sorcerie doesn't include the seeing of demons or anything of the kind doesn't mean satan couldn't of been the architect or teacher that showed man how to make such things

Quote Originally Posted by FollowerofYAHWEH View Post
    James 5:14-15.... Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:15And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

To what I could make of this verse is that we must soley rely on the power of god to heal our sicknesses therefore Im puzzled if one was is in dire need of medical attention like a gun shot wound, stab wound etc.. what is one to do?
    You just said physcial, gun shot,stab wound, what about mental i.e depression,anxiety,Schizophrenia,Bipolar,Alzheimer s etc etc

This is a bit of a confusing topic, I think physical conditions for example stab wound can be healed faster than a mental condition like some I listed...
    Should we say God heals our sicknesses through man i.e doctors?

Consider this from the Apocrypha..
    Sirach Chapter 38

1 Honour a physician with the honour due unto him for the uses which ye may have of him: for the Lord hath created him.

2 For of the most High cometh healing, and he shall receive honour of the king.

3 The skill of the physician shall lift up his head: and in the sight of great men he shall be in admiration.

4 The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.

5 Was not the water made sweet with wood, that the virtue thereof might be known?

6 And he hath given men skill, that he might be honoured in his marvellous works.

7 With such doth he heal [men,] and taketh away their pains.

8 Of such doth the apothecary make a confection; and of his works there is no end; and from him is peace over all the earth,

9 My son, in thy sickness be not negligent: but pray unto the Lord, and he will make thee whole.

10 Leave off from sin, and order thine hands aright, and cleanse thy heart from all wickedness.

11 Give a sweet savour, and a memorial of fine flour; and make a fat offering, as not being.

12 Then give place to the physician, for the Lord hath created him: let him not go from thee, for thou hast need of him.

13 There is a time when in their hands there is good success.

14 For they shall also pray unto the Lord, that he would prosper that, which they give for ease and remedy to prolong life.

I suppose its possible god may use doctors to cure our sick. Hmm Im not to sure, real interesting text though I have to sit on this one. At the same time could we really consider modern day meds to be the same as what they considered "meds" in biblical times? My main focus is the meds nowadays one only has to pop a pill and "alakazam" problem gone for a couple hours. To what I could understand only god could do such thing when meds only mimic god alot like what satan could do.

There are three or four places in the New Testament describing 'sorcerers' and 'sorcery' (in the KJV that is, newer translations often don't use these words). Some (mainly in the cults, sects and extremist charismatic groups) have associated these references with modern pharmacists and the medical profession; but is there any validity in this approach? We need to look at these words very closely:

1.SORCERER (Acts 13:6,8 - KJV)

This is from the Greek 'magos', it means 'sorcerer', 'magician' or, 'wise man' (Word 3097 in Strongs). There is no association with pharmacy or medicine.

2.SORCERIES (Acts 8:11 - KJV)

This is from the Greek 'mageia' it refers to magic (Word 3095 in Strongs) – no connection with pharmacy.

3.SORCERIES (Revelation 9:21 and 18:23 - KJV)

This is from the Greek 'pharmakeia' (Word 5331 in Strongs). There is some connection here to the word 'pharmacy' which we must look at in a moment.

4.SORCERERS (Revelation 21:8 and 22:15 - KJV)

These uses of 'sorcerers' (KJV) use a different Greek word to the singular use of this word in Acts 13:6,8; so this is not just the plural of the same word. From the Greek 'pharmakeus' (Words 5332 and 5333 in Strongs). So there is a connection between all four uses of words 5331, 5332 and 5333 in Revelation. There is indeed a relationship here to the English word 'pharmacy' (which of course, is directly derived from these Greek words). Is this calling modern medical practitioners 'sorcerers'? Is this saying that you and I should never visit a doctor??

Okay. Now lets ensure that we correctly understand this:

The root meaning of this group of Greek words is 'druggist' 'poisoner' or, 'giver of potions'. These particular 'sorcerers' were persons able to prepare and dispense potions. But why did they dispense these potions? Was it in order to give relief from illness?

Absolutely not! It was in order to stimulate hallucinations or visions! We must understand that it was long part of pagan religious practice to administer potions, or drugs, which would encourage hallucinations! There is, of course, a direct parallel here to modern illicit drug taking. But these original 'pharmacists' were involved in the black arts and in demonology; the basic idea was that taking certain potions could bring one into contact with the spirit world, and that this was to be desired. But the fact that the modern English word 'pharmacy' happens to be derived from 'pharmakeia' frankly proves absolutely nothing! Do people visit doctors in order to be given drugs which will bring them into contact with the spirit world? Of course not!! People visit medical practitioners in order to to have an illness diagnosed, to be treated for sickness, or to gain relief from illness! Yet there are some extremist charismatic ministries around today which teach that we sin when we visit a doctor just because the word 'pharmacy' happens to be related to these Greek words!

We must understand that on several occasions the Bible backs up the principle that sick people should look around for remedies for their sickness. This is a very clear biblical principle! Lets look at some examples:

When Job was afflicted by boils he seemed to be aware of the principle that the draining sores needed to dry out so he sat in ashes (Job 2:7-8).

Jeremiah refers to the balm of Gilead which was evidently deemed to have medicinal qualities (Jeremiah 8:22; 46:11).

When Hezekiah was seriously ill, Isaiah told him to put some figs to boil, although we cannot be sure in what way this may have been medicinal (2 Kings 20:7).

The therapeutic affect of happiness of mind upon one's health comes out several times (Proverbs 17:22, for instance).

The medicinal use of wine is mentioned in Scripture several times (including 1 Timothy 5:23). Indeed, today pharmacologists recognise how good a small amount of wine is for the digestive system, backing up Paul's advice to Timothy!

The good Samaritan treated the wounds of the injured man with wine and oil (Luke 10:34). Wine is an antiseptic and will tend to coagulate blood, thereby assisting healing. Oil soothes and forms a coating.

The Church at Laodicea is admonished to use their locally-produced eye salve because of their lack of spiritual vision (Revelation 3:18).

Even way back in Genesis it is obvious that the Israelite midwives had developed obstetrical care to a high standard (Genesis 35:17). It has been said that the procedure of Genesis 38:27-30, for instance, would even be very challenging for modern obstetricians!

Mark 5:26 shows that physicians were certainly available within Israel and we also know that Luke was a physician. According to the Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible, the rabbis ordained that every town should have at least one physician (Vol 3, page 1430, 1997 printing).

So we see it well established that those becoming sick or injured were expected to seek medical help! Indeed Jesus Himself shows acceptance of this principle when He said:

'.....They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.' (Luke 5:31)

What about very serious illnesses?

In the case of Christian believers who develop life-threatening injuries or illnesses, we see the principle established that they should make their illnesses known to fellow-believers and to request prayers (James 5:13-18). The prayers of faith are indeed efficaceous as many of us have found! But this does not mean they should not also seek medical help! All the sick of the Bible are prepared to seek whatever help is available. James 5:15 (KJV) says 'The prayers of faith shall save the sick', that is, those prayers will save those sick people whom God decides to heal – many of us have learned that this is not a blanket promise, and if such very sick righteous people die, they are instantly healed at the point of death in any case (when their souls depart to be with the Lord). Of course, we should pray for the gravely ill whether they are in the faith or not.

Likewise Psalm 103:3 states that the LORD,

'....Healeth all thy diseases.'

That is, it is God alone who heals! When we are healed, we are only ever healed through the grace of God. Doctors may do their bit but God alone grants healing. So Psalm 103:3 says that God heals all our diseases: that is, He heals all the diseases or illnesses or injuries which we attain healing from. But this is not a blanket promise of healing in this life as countless other Scriptures show and many of the righteous of the Bible were not healed in this life (though were certainly healed at the point of death).

But the Bible does suggest that those who are in a relationship with God do wrong when they place their full trust in physicians – God alone is our healer and deliverer!! Too many times I have heard sick people say things like,

'I am undergoing treatment but I have full faith in my doctors!'

Yes, seek medical help and assistance, but place your full trust and faith in God who alone is our healer – not in doctors!

Finally, what about different kinds of remedial treatment and assistance?

Some Christians seem to think that only herbal treatment is acceptable, but where is the justification for that view? This ignores the fact that medical practice is increasingly adopting herbal agents and practices where they are helpful, and also ignores the fact that some herbal treatments – when exhaustively tested – have been shown to be completely useless (although such treatments could have helped as placebos). Others think that any far eastern medicine must be useless at best or demonic at worst. Yet acupuncture, for instance, is apparently well established as a helpful treatment and I have never yet heard of anyone undergoing acupuncture treatment subsequently becoming possessed by demons!!

CONCLUSION

While the English word 'pharmacy' is indeed derived from a group of Greek words used to describe those pagans who used potions to encourage hallucinations in those who wanted to contact the spirit world, to suggest that modern medical pharmacists are in any way associated with the 'black arts' is as ludicrous as to suggest that when my friend took penicillin for a very serious infection, he was really more interested in contacting spirits!!! (By the way, my friend was healed and gave the full glory to God who alone is our healer). The modern medical profession is not by any means without its faults (there are certain things which I would certainly question) but it is ridiculous to blacken them (no pun intended!) because they borrowed a word which had sinister connotations in the original Greek!

http://www.ukapologetics.net/pharmakeia.html

Thanks

According to W.E. Vine’s expository dictionary of New Testament Words (page 1074), the word SORCERY comes from a Greek word, PHARMAKIA - used as a noun, it “signifies a sorcerer,” one who uses drugs, potions, spells, enchantments, as in Rev. 21:8.

Revelation 21:8 “But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

The english word for drugs, pharmacy, comes from this same root. Drugs and potions have traditionally been used in witchcraft and satanic rituals to induce deeper subconscious states which enable persons to have fellowship and communication with demons. Realizing the satanic relationship with drug use helps us to understand why abusers of drugs experience such bondage and depravation. No where in the Bible or in history have drugs been used to bring people closer to God - they have always been used in relation to bringing people closer to evil powers and demonic influences.