Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sayings From The Bible

Sayings From The Bible

When my brother and I were naughty little boys, my one grandmother would get informed by my mother when she phoned. Later when she visited she would say "A little birdie told me . . ." we were misbehaving. There were crows that flew around the top of a high tower, and although we didn't tell each other, we often looked up at them knowing they were the "Tittle tales" keeping an eye on us !

I came across this verse the other day:

Ecclesiastes 10:20 Curse not the king, no not in thy thought; and curse not the rich in thy bedchamber: for a bird of the air shall carry the voice, and that which hath wings shall tell the matter.

We were also using "fowl" language and my mother called us into the kitchen for some medicine. I went first and opened my mouth like a young bird. In went a teaspoon of very hot mustard and I bolted for the tap outside. My brother after me dutifully opened his mouth too ! Needless to say I hated the taste of mustard and only recently actually acquired a taste for it !

Those dammed birds !

There are many other sayings that actually come from the Bible, do you know some of them ?

Please share them here.

Blog Entries

Re: Sayings From The Bible

I read the book of proverbs. The righteous are surrounded by true friends. The wicked are to greedy to understand such things. Our people are being surrounded by those who hate them and for many cases are to greedy to understand. I like to be like great Pastors like Doctor Wickstrom, Pastor Pete Peters who are surrounded by true friends. Being even 10 percent like these men is enough for me.

"Can the leopard change his spots?" is based on Jeremiah 13:23:

"Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil."

Too bad the part about skin color isn't more well known. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    "Can the leopard change his spots?" is based on Jeremiah 13:23:

"Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil."

Too bad the part about skin color isn't more well known. ;)
    I recently came across something the Romans said: "Can you wash an Ethiopian ?" or something to that effect. I should have filed it away.

Of course these are read in their context, like you get "Africans" and "Africans" - "Africa" also being a Latin Roman word.

Blog Entries

Proverbs chapter 19 verse 7 it reads the poor have few friends. I use this verse to know my place and tarry on. Our kinsmen facing genocide suffer much now.

Quote Originally Posted by frey#89 View Post
    Proverbs chapter 19 verse 7 it reads the poor have few friends. I use this verse to know my place and tarry on. Our kinsmen facing genocide suffer much now.
    i.e. when days are dark friends are few !

We often say we escaped a situation "by the skin of my teeth", which comes from Job 19:20

"My bone cleaveth to my skin and to my flesh, and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth."

Interesting. Keep going please.
    You know what the difference between the jews and the Nazis is?
    The jews are actually guilty of the crimes their accused of.

Blog Entries

Proverbs Chapter 11 verse 16. Ruthlessness men only gain wealth. Though the respect and pride of a good wife is given by Yahweh. To me the sayings from the books of Yahweh mean wealth made though helping the world order isolate your yourself for the sake of money;; will destroy your family heritage. Can not have children without a wife.

Blog Entries

Proverbs chapter 22 verse 1 Choose a good reputation over great riches being surrounded by people you trust is better than gold and silver. In my view it means better to be around people of your race ;;;; who at the same time seek the face of Yahweh. Why is riches or luxury better than living free of worry and violence.