Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts about the New Jerusalem

Your thoughts about the New Jerusalem

Many years ago I attended a service by the late Pastor Sheldon Emry in Arizona. He did a sermon on the notion that America was the New Jerusalem prophesied about in the Bible.

Since that time I have not heard very many pastors address this subject, but many cryptic statements made by politicians and preachers lead me to believe that a lot of people believe America to be the New Jerusalem and / or they are contemplating the idea.

I base a lot of that on the numbers of political leaders who have invoked the 1630 sermon by John Winthrop about the City on a Hill linking America to the regathering place for Christian Israelites.

What is your take on this?

Re: Your thoughts about the New Jerusalem

I have heard of this over the years and it makes a bit of sense. America is actually the regathering of Israel. Every tribe is represented here as far as I know.

Blog Entries

Over communicating a necessity makes obtaining a necessity harder to do.

White Germanic civilization is being bought out and replaced. Having a personal church gathering for me; without the fear of being exposed by corporate owned police stalking gangs is a subject of special study for me.

Quote Originally Posted by frey#89 View Post
    Over communicating a necessity makes obtaining a necessity harder to do.

White Germanic civilization is being bought out and replaced. Having a personal church gathering for me; without the fear of being exposed by corporate owned police stalking gangs is a subject of special study for me.

I avoid the corporate POLICE STATE by avoiding it. For example, they want a separation of church and state, so why do people ask for permission via a nonprofit corporate status just to worship? Don't register your church.

But that is far afield from what I'm asking. Mainstream is looking to that sand pit in the Middle East, hoping to see Bible prophecy unfold there, but you have to deal with Scripture... For example:

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Behold your house is left unto you desolate. For I say unto you, ye shall not see Me henceforth, till ye shall say, blessed is he that cometh in the Name of the Lord." Matthew 23 : 37 - 39

"I am jealous for Jerusalem and for Zion with great jealousy … I am returned to Jerusalem with mercies: My house shall be built in it … and the Lord shall yet comfort Zion, and shall yet choose Jerusalem." See Zech. 1 : 14 thru 17

Can it be that America is the New Jerusalem of the Bible?

There was a program where someone pointed out the features of the new Jerusalem and it matches the continent of north america but I cant remember what one.

Welcome to the forum TheResister.

While the concept of the United States being the "New Jerusalem" is interesting. I personally don't believe it is.

The United States is Menassah though.

The Bible tells us New Jerusalem comes from above and that the things of this world will be no more.

Our people are still scattered all over the world. We don't regather until Christ returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Welcome to the forum TheResister.

While the concept of the United States being the "New Jerusalem" is interesting. I personally don't believe it is.

The United States is Menassah though.

The Bible tells us New Jerusalem comes from above and that the things of this world will be no more.

Our people are still scattered all over the world. We don't regather until Christ returns.
    But, even in that we should be regathering somewhere.

After reading John Winthrop's City on a Hill sermon and all the things that have taken place in American history, I cannot dismiss the idea without a lot of good counter-arguments. Right now, I've traced the basic idea of a literal regathering point to 6th century England and then the Puritans believed that America was that spot.

BTW, Wikipedia acknowledges that the idea was "foundational to American nationalism."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jerusalem

Thanks for your input, however.

The new Jerusalem is ushered in at the second advent during the marriage supper of the Lamb:

Rev 21:1-4; "Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

It's not America because it obviously hasn't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    The new Jerusalem is ushered in at the second advent during the marriage supper of the Lamb:

Rev 21:1-4; "Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

It's not America because it obviously hasn't happened yet.
    Is it not true that every story has a beginning, a middle, and an end? How can we deny the many blessings that America received, making us the greatest nation in the annals of history while we were observing Christian principles?

Quote Originally Posted by TheResister View Post
    Is it not true that every story has a beginning, a middle, and an end? How can we deny the many blessings that America received, making us the greatest nation in the annals of history while we were observing Christian principles?
    Understood. But the "new Jerusalem" is scripturally a kingdom where Yahweh dwells with His people forever and there is no death.

Trying to fit America into a futurist prophecy dealing with a completely new heavens and earth is quite a stretch IMHO.