Thread: Virgin Mary Appreciation Thread

Virgin Mary Appreciation Thread

From time to time I shall update this thread with classic paintings of Mary the mother of God -- it would be awesome if other users added their favorites.

The Virgin Mary from the Ghent Altarpiece, 1432

180px-Retable_de_l'Agneau_mystique.jpg

Also be sure to read What's in a Name?: Mary (מורי) / Maria (מוריה) / Mariam (מורים) The Mother of Yahshua

Full of grace!

Re: Virgin Mary Appreciation Thread

Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy

Blessed-Virgin-Mary-of-Mercy.jpg

Mary and Elizabeth by Dorothy Webster Hawksley

Mary and Elizabeth (Dorothy Webster Hawksley, British 1884-1970).jpg

Luke 1:39-44 KJV
    39And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Juda; 40And entered into the house of Zacharias, and saluted Elisabeth. 41And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost: 42And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. 43And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
    כל-מודים היו אל-יהוה בישוע-משיח בנו צדק ואחנו אוהב: אמן
    (All thanks be to Yahweh through Yahshua Messiah, His righteous Son and our loving Brother. Amen!)

Our Lady of Sorrows by American artist Tahnja Wolter

Our-Lady-of-Sorrows-by-Tahnja-Wolter.jpg

We used to have a thread here for Carl Heinrich Bloch.

This is his Madonna:

The-Annunciation-Carl-Heinrich-Bloch.jpg
    “The righteous mother of the seven children spake also as follows to her offspring: I was a pure virgin, and went not beyond my father’s house; but I took care of the built-up rib. No destroyer of the desert, or ravisher of the plain, injured me; nor did the destructive, deceitful, snake, make spoil of my chaste virginity; and I remained with my husband during the period of my prime.” (4 Maccabees 18:7-8)

I have always looked at Mary as an example for Christian women to follow * how could one not but I think she is often overlooked so I appreciate taking a deeper look into the characteristics of the earthly mother of our Lord. Here are a few pics :)

mary 1.jpgWilliam Bouguereau - L'innocence (1893).jpg

One is from a Catholic resouce the other is William Bouguereau L'innocence 1893

* Blessings

Spanish Nun Receives Death Threats Over Marian Viginity

Apparently recognizing that James, brother of Jesus, leader of the early church even existed violates dogma, oops. Surely being a "brother" is just a metaphor, like being a "son"... oops.

A Catholic nun in Spain has received death threats for a comment suggesting the Virgin Mary was not actually a virgin -- contradicting the teachings of her faith.

Sister Lucia Caram, a Dominican nun, appeared Sunday on the "Chester in Love" show on Spanish television where she made the following remark, according to The Guardian:

"I think Mary was in love with Joseph and that they were a normal couple -- and having sex is a normal thing. It's hard to believe and hard to take in. We've ended up with the rules we've invented without getting to the true message."
    http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/02/0...olic-nun-spain

These invented rules are frozen accidents that when taken together form the brittle dogmas and rigid structures of the Catholic Church. Any honest person can seek the truth, but accepting utter nonsense is the ultimate expression of group loyalty. When a cultural Catholic rejects God and/or Pope they are tolerated, embraces sin they are accommodated, but if they pointedly question the nonsense, death threats pour in.

maryvslucifer.jpg

Mary asks Gabriel to hold Jesus while she tries to rip off Satan's head.