Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hebrews wrote 'Left to Right'

Hebrews wrote 'Left to Right'

Has anyone in the group checked into this???? I really believe they wrote 'left to right' just like us. Here is a draft document I wrote with my research: AncientWritingDirection.pdf

It is really hard to prove, with no original documents to look at. To me original documents and stone writings must be examined to really determine their writing direction. For example, I have seen sites out there that say the early Greeks wrote 'right to left'; however, I cannot find real proof of that. I can only find real proof that the ancient Greeks wrote 'left to right'.

Any one with any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Charlotte

Re: Hebrews wrote 'Left to Right'

Any one with any input would be appreciated.
    Charlotte,
    This is a tremendous paper on a subject that I have never seen any work done on before. I must have missed Willie Martin's work on the subject. My only suggestion would be to separate the Hebrew into Paleo-Hebrew versus Masoretic Hebrew as some scholars do for clarification.

Look forward to your future research on this subject. It wouldn't surprise me at all that the modern day false Jews would invert the Dead Sea Scrolls to promote their Masoretic Hebrew of today as being original Hebrew for the masses.

Crossman

Thank you Crossman I will clarify Paleo-Hebrew in a future update.

Most people are right handed and I suppose that would determine the easiest direction to write when using a stylus on soft clay or a chisel on masonry. Any engravers or sculptors out there ?

Michael, that actually applies to using ink also. If you wrote from 'right to left' with the old ink you would smear it. I have actually read some where that - that is one reason they wrote left to right. that is what this link states http://cpart.mi.byu.edu/home/dss/about-dss/ thanks for you input, I think you are right

Good campchar, if I may, having read through your PDF I must suggest that you think over the section implying, or rather seemingly outright asserting that the Dead Sea Scrolls are upside down and need be made right side up. Before presuming such an earth-shaking possibility, consider what that would mean towards our understanding of not simply the letters themselves, but also the etymology of words and indeed the syntax of sentences.
    upsidedown.jpg

Check out the Leningrad Codex, and you will see that the Dead Sea Scroll's letters are congruent with the primary source document for the Hebrew Old Testament in every translation of the Bible you've ever read. https://archive.org/details/Leningrad_Codex

In regards to writing right-to-left with ink, I can attest that it is possible and actually quite comfortable in the Paleo Hebrew aleph-bet with the right hand and using modern pen and paper, indeed even writing many of the letters themselves right-to-left (especially the more complex Hey, Kaph, Mem, and Nun all which have a guiding straight line on the right.)

Overall, the direction of writing is a curious question, that's for sure. But honestly, I'd really rather not presume that the letters have been that misrepresented, especially seeing how the Old Testament and New Testament in the Greek match up so well as they do, even with our insufficient translations to-date.
    כל-מודים היו אל-יהוה בישוע-משיח בנו צדק ואחנו אוהב: אמן
    (All thanks be to Yahweh through Yahshua Messiah, His righteous Son and our loving Brother. Amen!)

Neal,
    I did provide a source that states that the Dead Sea Scrolls are written 'left to right' in the document. Plus I did show an example of a site reflecting the text upside down and I show it right side up with the alpha bet right next to it - when you turn it right side up the letter are going the correct direction - maybe you missed that. Plus I showed links to sites reflecting Iberian wrote 'left to right' and so did other early descendants of Noah. I also showed that the 10 commandants were written in paleo Hebrew 'left to right'.

That block Hebrew that you post your name and footer with is not the original Hebrew alphabet or writing. That block Hebrew is a jewish invention and probably was only written 'right to left'. I'm am only referring to the original paleo Hebrew in my document. If you look at the Dead Sea scrolls document letters of the alpha bet, they were not written with the jewish block Hebrew, the Dead Sea Scroll documents were written with the paleo-Hebrew letters.

that Leningrad book is upside down - that is easy to see.

Quote Originally Posted by campchar View Post
    Neal,
    I did provide a source that states that the Dead Sea Scrolls are written 'left to right' in the document.1 Plus I did show an example of a site reflecting the text upside down and I show it right side up with the alpha bet right next to it - when you turn it right side up the letter are going the correct direction - maybe you missed that.2 Plus I showed links to sites reflecting Iberian wrote 'left to right' and so did other early descendants of Noah. I also showed that the 10 commandants were written in paleo Hebrew 'left to right'.3

That block Hebrew that you post your name and footer with is not the original Hebrew alphabet or writing.4 That block Hebrew is a jewish invention and probably was only written 'right to left'. I'm am only referring to the original paleo Hebrew in my document. If you look at the Dead Sea scrolls document letters of the alpha bet, they were not written with the jewish block Hebrew, the Dead Sea Scroll documents were written with the paleo-Hebrew letters.5

that Leningrad book is upside down - that is easy to see.6
    Sister, please do not read my words as an attack, I am trying to help you in the name of Yahshua and Our Father Yahweh. I have put subscript numbers at the end of the statements in your post matching up to the following responses:

1Do you mean the quote on the top of page 5 of your PDF? The quote states not that the words are written left-to-right, but only the "individual letters" in the words, which means they started writing with the pen on the left side of each letter rather than the right. It is not claiming that the words are written left-to-right, but only the letters. "Though Hebrew is read from right to left, the individual letters are written from left to right... Your source: http://cpart.mi.byu.edu/home/dss/about-dss/

2No need to be mean campchar, no, I did not miss what you are contending. You are incorrect to say that the website has turned the text upside down, which I am endeavoring to prove to you (Yahweh help me!) Look, the Dead Sea Scrolls do not have the Paleo Hebrew letters in them (which would have been cool if they did), but rather they have the Late Hebrew letters, which are a precursor to the so-called 'Modern' Hebrew letters you see written in my signature. Late Hebrew is closer in form to the Modern Hebrew than it is to the Paleo Hebrew (because both Late and Modern are post-Babylonian captivity, when and where the Paleo Hebrew aleph-bet was perverted into these Babylonian letters.)

3That's really cool. BTW, I'm not aware of anybody that claims that the Hebrew can't be written both from right-to-left and left-to-right. It really can be either way, just as Boustrophedon shows the Greek can be. No one argues that it isn't both ways for the Hebrew.

4I know, I would rather use the Paleo aleph-bet myself, but it's difficult to do so on the internet right now. I can explain why if you are interested, and maybe together we can come up with a solution. Also, so you understand where I'm coming from, whenever I write Hebrew by hand with pen and paper, I use the Paleo Hebrew aleph-bet because it is the best out of all of them for writing, hands-down, period. You might be interested to know that the Ancient Hebrew aleph-bet is even older than the Paleo and proves a great many things about this ancient language that you and I can go into more detail about later if you are so inclined, including that fact that all European alphabets (including the Greek, Latin, Cyrillic, and more) come from our original ancestor's language, the Hebrew (so-called, but I don't doubt the language has been around since even before the times of the patriarch Eber!)

5No, the Dead Sea Scrolls are in the Late Hebrew aleph-bet, but even if it they were in the Paleo, you cannot turn the words up-side down and expect them to make any sense in terms of the meaning of the words (etymology) or the usage of grammar between words (syntax)! Look again at my post above, at the picture, and try to read the upside-down paragraph in English from top-to-bottom and left-to-right. Turning a Hebrew paragraph upside-down has the same result, i.e. non-sense!!! (Reflection on the vertical axis however maintains the same meaning of the etymology and syntax, as long as one knows the direction of the words, which is why Boustrophedon is usable as a way of writing a language, and why Hebrew can be written from either right-to-left or left-to-right, including Modern Hebrew.)

6No, the Leningrad Codex is right-side up as presented. However, unlike the Dead Sea Scrolls, it actually uses Modern Hebrew (circa 1000 A.D.) This Codex is what is used to translate every Bible you've ever read. Effectively, if what you are contending is true, then that would mean our Bibles are translated from non-sense, and hence equate to non-sense, which of course, isn't true.

-- Look, here's how I would like my name to appear on the forum --

Neal.png

It is still written from right-to-left, and you can compare how it is written to the Modern - נהאל. All four letters are the same letters in the same order but just in different aleph-bets is all.

:יהי אמן בך בישוע הבן יהוה
    (Let truth be with you, through Yahshua, the son of Yahweh.)
    (All thanks be to Yahweh through Yahshua Messiah, His righteous Son and our loving Brother. Amen!)

Thanks for your input Neal. Your name, in the Hebrew pictured above, would be much better.

It appears that we have a different opinion on this subject though. I really do not think you understand what I was saying in the document though, I said I turned it right side up and then the letters appear correctly though.

Yahweh Bless!

Quote Originally Posted by campchar View Post
    Thanks for your input Neal. Your name, in the Hebrew pictured above, would be much better.

It appears that we have a different opinion on this subject though. I really do not think you understand what I was saying in the document though, I said I turned it right side up and then the letters appear correctly though.

Yahweh Bless!
    This is not an opinion: The way you found it on the internet is already right-side up. You turned it up-side down. They are not Paleo Hebrew letters in the Dead Sea Scrolls. They are Late Hebrew letters, which are different. Do you really think people should start reading their Bibles from the last word of Revelation and end on the first word of Genesis?