Thread: St John Chrysostom

St John Chrysostom

Best remembered is St John Chrysostom in his 'Homilies against the Jews' of 386 and 387. In Chrysostom's submission, it is God himself who has abandoned the Jews, not least because they have crucified his Son. Therefore they were justly punished. 'You Jews did crucify him,' he insists. 'But after he died on the cross, he then destroyed your city and scattered your nation over the face of the earth'. Let no one harbour delusions about the sacredness of synagogues: 'God is not worshipped there'. Do Christians not realise, asks Chrysostom, that the synagogue is now nothing other than 'a brothel, a strong-hold of sin, a lodging-place for demons, a fortress of the devil, the destruction of the soul, the precipice and pit of all perdition? For 'here the slayers of God gather together [...], here God is blasphemed, here is the Father ignored, here the Son is outraged, here the grace of the Spirit is rejected'.

The service for Good Friday gives a particularly convincing picture of Jesus as victim of the Jews, who accordingly deserve the designation 'deicides' given to them by the authors of these texts ('deicidal assembly' [bogoubiits sobor] or 'company of deicides' [bogoubiits sonmishche]).

'Here is what the Lord says to the Jews:
    My people, what have I done to you? By what means have I dismayed you ? I have given sight to your blind, cleansed your lepers, raised the cripple from his bed. And by what means have you repaid me? For manna you have given me gall, vinegar in return for water. In return for love you have nailed me to the cross. I can bear no more. I shall call my nations Gentiles and they shall glorify me together with the Father and the Spirit. And to them I shall grant eternal life.

Here is the displacement theory in its fulness. The Jews are the crucifiers and the deicides. And it is the Gentiles who receive eternal life. Meanwhile, as the preceding readings have already urged, the Jews should expect their deserts: 'recompense them according to their deeds [dazhd' im Gospodi po delom ikh], for they have vainly arraigned thee'.

Blog Entries

Re: St John Chrysostom

In my opinion. I have an idea of what it is like to be being bothered by the satans children along with their schemes.

Re: St John Chrysostom

From St. John Chrysostom - comments on the Jews by one of the most important Church Fathers and revered Saints of the Orthodox Church:

"But the synagogue is not only a brothel and a theater; it also is a den of robbers and a lodging for wild beasts. Jeremiah said: 'Your house has become for me the den of a hyena'. He does not simply say 'of wild beast', but 'of a filthy wild beast', and again: 'I have abandoned my house, I have cast off my inheritance'. But when God forsakes a people, what hope of salvation is left? When God forsakes a place, that place becomes the dwelling of demons.

But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: 'If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father'. Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?" -- Saint John Chrysostom (347- 407), HOMILIES AGAINST THE JEWS (Adversus Judaeos).