Thread: Wisdom and Understanding

Wisdom and Understanding

In these trying times it is important to pray that God will grant us wisdom and understanding that we may see the light of life and truth amidst the woes of this world as we travel into the darkest hour. Proverbs 2 & 8 does a beautiful job of explaining that wisdom and understanding existed in the beginning with God and that her voice cries out to the sons of man for all time. Therefor we should pray that God impart us with wisdom and understanding that we may know that every word of God is true and only his truth can make us free from the bondage of this world.

King James Bible

The Benefits of Wisdom Proverbs 2

1My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
    2So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
    3Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
    4If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
    5Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
    6For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.
    7He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.
    8He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints.
    9Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path.
    10When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;
    11Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:
    12To deliver thee from the way of the evil man, from the man that speaketh froward things;

13Who leave the paths of uprightness, to walk in the ways of darkness;
    14Who rejoice to do evil, and delight in the frowardness of the wicked;
    15Whose ways are crooked, and they froward in their paths:
    16To deliver thee from the strange woman, even from the stranger which flattereth with her words;
    17Which forsaketh the guide of her youth, and forgetteth the covenant of her God.
    18For her house inclineth unto death, and her paths unto the dead.
    19None that go unto her return again, neither take they hold of the paths of life.
    20That thou mayest walk in the way of good men, and keep the paths of the righteous.
    21For the upright shall dwell in the land, and the perfect shall remain in it.
    22But the wicked shall be cut off from the earth, and the transgressors shall be rooted out of it.

The Excellence of Wisdom Proverbs 8.1-36

1Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice?

2She standeth in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths.

3She crieth at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at the doors.

4Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man.

5O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.

6Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things.

7For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.

8All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.

9They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.

10Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold.

11For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.

12I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.

13The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

14Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength.

15By me kings reign, and princes decree justice.

16By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of the earth.

17I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.

18Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness.

19My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver.

20I lead in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of judgment:

21That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.

22The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.

23I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.

24When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.

25Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:

26While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.

27When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:

28When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:

29When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:

30Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;

31Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.

32Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways.

33Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.

34Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.

35For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD.

36But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.

We know that Solomon was known as one of the wisest men to ever live - I think that we can see from scripture that this was because Solomon prayed for God to fill his heart with wisdom - he was not born with the knowledge which God bestowed on him but God imparted wisdom and understanding unto him when Solomon asked for such. Also, notice in proverbs that each of us should be crying out to God to impart us with wisdom and understanding.The following places in scripture show that all things consist by God's will and we must strive to understand his reason and purpose for his people:

Solomon Prays for Wisdom

(1 Kings 3:6-9)

7In that night did God appear unto Solomon, and said unto him, Ask what I shall give thee.
    8And Solomon said unto God, Thou hast shewed great mercy unto David my father, and hast made me to reign in his stead. 9Now, O LORD God, let thy promise unto David my father be established: for thou hast made me king over a people like the dust of the earth in multitude. 10Give me now wisdom and knowledge, that I may go out and come in before this people: for who can judge this thy people, that is so great? 11And God said to Solomon, Because this was in thine heart, and thou hast not asked riches, wealth, or honour, nor the life of thine enemies, neither yet hast asked long life; but hast asked wisdom and knowledge for thyself, that thou mayest judge my people, over whom I have made thee king: 12Wisdom and knowledge is granted unto thee; and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and honour, such as none of the kings have had that have been before thee, neither shall there any after thee have the like. 13Then Solomon came from his journey to the high place that was at Gibeon to Jerusalem, from before the tabernacle of the congregation, and reigned over Israel.

Solomon's Wisdom 1 kings 4. 29-34

29And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore. 30And Solomon's wisdom excelled the wisdom of all the children of the east country, and all the wisdom of Egypt. 31For he was wiser than all men; than Ethan the Ezrahite, and Heman, and Chalcol, and Darda, the sons of Mahol: and his fame was in all nations round about. 32And he spake three thousand proverbs: and his songs were a thousand and five. 33And he spake of trees, from the cedar tree that is in Lebanon even unto the hyssop that springeth out of the wall: he spake also of beasts, and of fowl, and of creeping things, and of fishes. 34And there came of all people to hear the wisdom of Solomon, from all kings of the earth, which had heard of his wisdom.

What is interesting to me is that people recognized the wisdom of Solomon. The Kings and Queens traveled far and wide to get a chance to hear something spoken from the mouth of wisest King Solomon yet God can speak to us and through us if we ask him to guide us and fill us with his words of wisdom. Ask God to fill you this day with wisdom and understanding.

Blessings -

Re: Wisdom and Understanding

16To deliver thee from the strange woman, even from the stranger which flattereth with her words;
    17Which forsaketh the guide of her youth, and forgetteth the covenant of her God.
    18For her house inclineth unto death, and her paths unto the dead.
    19None that go unto her return again, neither take they hold of the paths of life.
    I had to swallow deeply with eyes wide open reading this.
    That is something hard to chew on for me.
    I know Solomon had strange wifes, too, and they misled him.
    I still love my latina ex-wife and our offspring I have to admit. :-(

I just wished she'd had a real change of heart and mind and could join YHWHs ranks with "Isaiah 56" premise...that would be mind-blowing...

And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord
    to minister to him,
    to love the name of the Lord,
    and to be his servants,
    all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it
    and who hold fast to my covenant—
    these I will bring to my holy mountain
    and give them joy in my house of prayer.
    Life is cruel sometimes.

Here are some more keys about wisdom and understanding with the verses of these truths listed below:

1. Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
    2. Increase in Wisdom and knowledge and you will increase in sorrow as well.
    3. Ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy which no man can take from you.

Proverbs 4
    King James Bible
    Listen to a Father's Instruction

1Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
    2For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
    3For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
    4He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
    5Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
    6Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
    7Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
    8Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
    9She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
    10Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.
    11I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.

12Then thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.
    13Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.
    14Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
    15Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
    16For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.
    17For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.
    18But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
    19The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.
    20My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.
    21Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.
    22For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.
    23Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
    24Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.
    25Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.
    26Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.
    27Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.

Ecclesiastes 12 I the Preacher was king over Israel in Jerusalem. 13And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith. 14I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit. 15That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.
    16I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge. 17And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. 18For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

James 3 - True Wisdom is from Above but the wisdom of the world is foolish envying and strife:
    13Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. 14But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. 15This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. 16For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. 17But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 18And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

19Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask him, and said unto them, Do ye inquire among yourselves of that I said, A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me? 20Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy. 21A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. 22And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.

The Value of Wisdom Ecclesiastes 7

1A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth.
    2It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: for that is the end of all men; and the living will lay it to his heart.
    3Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better.
    4The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning; but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth.

5It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools.
    6For as the crackling of thorns under a pot, so is the laughter of the fool: this also is vanity.
    7Surely oppression maketh a wise man mad; and a gift destroyeth the heart.
    8Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.
    9Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.
    10Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not inquire wisely concerning this.
    11Wisdom is good with an inheritance: and by it there is profit to them that see the sun.
    12For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.
    13Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight, which he hath made crooked?
    14In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider: God also hath set the one over against the other, to the end that man should find nothing after him.
    Limits of Human Wisdom
    15All things have I seen in the days of my vanity: there is a just man that perisheth in his righteousness, and there is a wicked man that prolongeth his life in his wickedness. 16Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself? 17Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time? 18It is good that thou shouldest take hold of this; yea, also from this withdraw not thine hand: for he that feareth God shall come forth of them all.
    19Wisdom strengtheneth the wise more than ten mighty men which are in the city. 20For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not. 21Also take no heed unto all words that are spoken; lest thou hear thy servant curse thee: 22For oftentimes also thine own heart knoweth that thou thyself likewise hast cursed others.
    23All this have I proved by wisdom: I said, I will be wise; but it was far from me. 24That which is far off, and exceeding deep, who can find it out? 25I applied mine heart to know, and to search, and to seek out wisdom, and the reason of things, and to know the wickedness of folly, even of foolishness and madness: 26And I find more bitter than death the woman, whose heart is snares and nets, and her hands as bands: whoso pleaseth God shall escape from her; but the sinner shall be taken by her.
    27Behold, this have I found, saith the preacher, counting one by one, to find out the account: 28Which yet my soul seeketh, but I find not: one man among a thousand have I found; but a woman among all those have I not found. 29Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

Blessings all- I hope you like to study as much as I do - It always amazes me how powerful God's Word is*
    Last edited by stardust; 06-11-2016 at 10:00 AM.

King James Bible PSALM 73

Surely God is Good to Israel

1{A Psalm of Asaph.} Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart.

2But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped.

3For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

4For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firm.

5They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they plagued like other men.

6Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain; violence covereth them as a garment.

7Their eyes stand out with fatness: they have more than heart could wish.

8They are corrupt, and speak wickedly concerning oppression: they speak loftily.

9They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth.

10Therefore his people return hither: and waters of a full cup are wrung out to them.

11And they say, How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the most High?

12Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.

13Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency.

14For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.

15If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children.

16When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me;

17Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.

18Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction.

19How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors.

20As a dream when one awaketh; so, O Lord, when thou awakest, thou shalt despise their image.

21Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins.

22So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee.

23Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.

24Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.

25Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

26My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.

27For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from thee.

28But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.

I have been thinking on this psalm and really bringing it to heart and soul lately. I pray some of you will be comforted in reading this.

BLESSINGS * PEACE BE WITH YOU

Here are some verses which I think are important because they help us to remember what is most important in trying to follow a Christian path with understanding of what is key in serving Christ. To love others as ourselves and seek love, joy, and peace through the Eternal Lord – the one True God. Keeping the Spirit of Unity and Faith alive and present through our daily efforts to serve one another and depart from evil.

“I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, 2With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; 3Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.”

--Ephesians 4. 1-6

“For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, andhating one another. 4But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, 5Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 6Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. 8This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.”

--Titus 3. 1-8

“For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. 14For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 15But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
    16This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 18But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
    25If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
    --Galations 6.1-13 - 25

Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. 3Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. 4No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier. 5And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully. 6The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits. 7Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.
    8Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: 9Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound. 10Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
    11It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
    12If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:
    13If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

“The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
    20But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work. 22Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 23But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes. 24And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;26And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

-- 2. Timothy 2 19-26

Blessings to you on your spiritual journey,

Stardustvirgin of apacolypse.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I had to swallow deeply with eyes wide open reading this.
    That is something hard to chew on for me.
    I know Solomon had strange wifes, too, and they misled him.
    I still love my latina ex-wife and our offspring I have to admit. :-(

I just wished she'd had a real change of heart and mind and could join YHWHs ranks with "Isaiah 56" premise...that would be mind-blowing...

Life is cruel sometimes.

Okay, I'm immediately stepping off into the tall grass, here, I know. I'm brand new to this forum. And, I'm not a female. But, as luck would have it, my wife is, and she brought this issue to my attention.

I'm familiar with Isaiah 56 and how it is used to excuse letting mamzers in. I'm more of a Deuteronomy 23:2 kind of CI, myself. Mixed race persons are not allowed to come in for ten generations, which means you would have to find ten other families over a ten generation period likewise willing to pollute their own bloodlines for ten generations, in other words, like the parable of a camel going through the eye of a needle: it's not going to happen.

I believe, like Phineas, that racial treason is something one does not come back from. Yes, life is cruel sometimes. So is our Lord. Justice can be considered cruel, to the transgressors. But, race traitors have to be written off. So do their offspring. At least, that's my position.