Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead And Bloated - Famous Deaths Thread

Post Dead And Bloated - Famous Deaths Thread

On the tail end of last month's depressing news that Pete Steele of Type O Negative died, a month later it seems we've lost another modern-day prophet...

Metal icon Ronnie James Dio dead at 67

Heavy metal lost one of its icons Sunday when singer Ronnie James Dio died at 67. He was being treated in a Houston hospital for stomach cancer.

“My heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45 a.m,” said a statement by his wife, Wendy, posted Sunday on the singer’s Web site and confirmed by publicist Maureen O'Connor.

Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins commented on Twitter, "Ronnie was a true gentleman, and obviously one of the best rock singers there will ever be. What a sad loss. ... I only got to meet him once and I can honestly say he was the nicest person I have ever met in music."

Dio’s neo-operatic voice was one of metal’s most distinctive instruments, an over-the-top stylist perfectly suited for a genre that demanded excess.

He fronted some of metal’s most revered bands, including a Deep Purple offshoot called Rainbow, the second incarnation of Black Sabbath and his namesake group, Dio. As a result, he had a hand in a half-dozen of metal’s greatest albums, including Sabbath’s “Heaven and Hell” and Dio’s “Holy Diver.” Most recently he was heard fronting a Sabbath offshoot, Heaven and Hell, which released a fine 2009 album, “The Devil You Know,” and toured extensively in 2008-09.

Dio’s piercing voice and equally flamboyant persona – he is sometimes credited with popularizing the two-fingered “devil’s horns” gesture – made him fodder for affectionate parody, most notably by the best-selling comedy duo Tenacious D.

Dio was born Ronald James Padavona in 1942 in Portsmouth, N.H. He began playing in rock bands starting in the late ‘50s in Cortland, N.Y., and eventually formed the band Elf in 1969. A tour as opening act with Deep Purple led to Dio’s first big break – he caught the ear of guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, who formed the band Rainbow with the vocalist.

The singer then joined Black Sabbath in 1979 after the departure of Ozzy Osbourne, and sparked one of the group’s best albums, “Heaven and Hell.” He would continue working off and on with Sabbath and Sabbath band members throughout the remainder of his career, in between stints with Dio – a classic, old-school metal band that toured and recorded consistently over the last three decades. The Dio band released 10 studio albums since 1983 and went through numerous lineup changes, with the singer the sole constant.

For many fans, Dio embodied metal’s virtues, notably its confrontational power and hell-raising subject matter. That affection spilled over into the comedy of Tenacious D – a duo led by movie star Jack Black --- who wrote the tribute song “Dio” and even had the singer appear as an oracle of sorts in the movie “Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny.” Dio guides the young Black to pursue his dreams. “Now go, my son,” he bellowed, “and rock!”

greg@gregkot.com

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...ead-at-67.html

note: not to be confused with Ronnie Dio & the Prophets which are good in their own right.
    "On your best day you're not as smart as me! Trust me, I'm a truth machine!"

Obadiah 1:18

Re: Ronnie James Dio dead

A modern-day prophet? Prophet of what?

What's the deal with your signature? Do you want us to patronize Edomite Feinstein's site? Good luck with that!

Are you sure you've come to the right forum? You haven't mistaken us for VNNF, have you?

IMHO this is Ronnie's finest hour...

Heaven And Hell

Sing me a song, you're a singer
    Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil
    The devil is never a maker
    The less that you give, you're a taker
    So it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hell
    Oh well

The lover of life's not a sinner
    The ending is just a beginner
    The closer you get to the meaning
    The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming
    So it's on and on and on, oh it's on and on and on
    It goes on and on and on, Heaven and Hell
    I can tell
    Fool, fool

Oh uh
    Yeah, yeah, yeah

Well if it seems to be real, it's illusion
    For every moment of truth, there's confusion in life
    Love can be seen as the answer, but nobody bleeds for the dancer
    And it's on and on, on and on and on and on and on and on and on

They say that life's a carousel
    Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well
    The world is full of kings and queens
    Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
    It's heaven and hell, oh well

And they'll tell you black is really white
    The moon is just the sun at night
    And when you walk in golden halls
    You get to keep the gold that falls
    It's heaven and hell, oh no

Fool, fool
    You've got to bleed for the dancer
    Fool, fool
    Look for the answer
    Fool, fool, fool

Quote Originally Posted by Obadiah 1:18 View Post
    Do you want us to patronize Edomite Feinstein's site? Good luck with that!

Are you sure you've come to the right forum? You haven't mistaken us for VNNF, have you?
    Judge Judy is the epitome of matriarchal judaism.

Quote Originally Posted by seedliner View Post
    Judge Judy is the epitome of matriarchal judaism.
    Exactly.
    "On your best day you're not as smart as me! Trust me, I'm a truth machine!"

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jewdy View Post
    note: not to be confused with Ronnie Dio & the Prophets which are good in their own right.
    Same Dio! Old Ronnie had a lengthy career:

In 1961, they changed their name to Ronnie Dio and The Prophets. The Prophets lineup lasted for quite a long time and produced several singles and one album. Some sources state that some of the single releases were made by Ronnie James Dio solo, but others, such as Dio himself, state that all of the singles were made as a band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_James_Dio
    Heavy Metal and Christian Identity! Brought to you by Carl's Jr.™

Quote Originally Posted by Obadiah 1:18 View Post
    A modern-day prophet? Prophet of what?

What's the deal with your signature? Do you want us to patronize Edomite Feinstein's site? Good luck with that!

Judge Jewdy is likely another Lindstedt sockpuppet...

http://stumbleinn.net/forum/showthre...461#post269461

Obadiah 1:18

Quote Originally Posted by seedliner View Post
    Judge Jewdy is likely another Lindstedt sockpuppet...

http://stumbleinn.net/forum/showthre...461#post269461
    Agreed.

There are several other sockpuppets Marty's planted here that are awaiting orders from the "Pope". I'm sure we'll see them in action soon.

Cool ... the prophet of Baal will have the opportunity to meet his father ... the father of lies. Perhaps good fortune will visit us in threes and Judge Judy will be next.

Personally, I sort of liked Blackmore's Rainbow...