• OT Apocrypha

by Published on 01-08-2012 07:15 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Pseudepigrapha,
    3. OT Apocrypha

CHAP. II.

Joseph is the victim of many plots by the wicked ingenuity of the Memphian woman. For an interesting prophetic parable, see Verses 73-74.

YE see, therefore, my children, how great things patience worketh, and prayer with fasting.

2 So ye too, if ye follow after chastity and purity with patience and prayer, with fasting in humility of heart, the Lord will dwell among you because He loveth chastity.

3 And wheresoever the Most High dwelleth, even though envy, or slavery, or slander befalleth a man, the Lord who dwelleth in him, for the sake of his chastity not only delivereth him from evil, but also exalteth him even as me.

4 For in every way the man is lifted up, whether in deed, or in word, or in thought.

5 My brethren knew how my father loved me, and yet I did not exalt myself in my mind: although I was a child, I had the fear of God in my heart; for I knew that all things would pass away.

6 And I did not raise myself against them with evil intent, but I honoured my brethren; and out of respect for them, even when ...
    by Published on 01-08-2012 07:14 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Pseudepigrapha,
    3. OT Apocrypha

THE TESTAMENT OF JOSEPH
    The Eleventh Son of Jacob and Rachel.

CHAP. I.

Joseph, the eleventh son of Jacob and Rachel, the beautiful and beloved. His struggle against the Egyptian temptress.

THE copy of the Testament of Joseph.

2 When he was about to die he called his sons and his brethren together, and said to them:--

3 My brethren and my children, hearken to Joseph the beloved of Israel; give ear, my sons, unto your father.

4 I have seen in my life envy and death, yet I went not astray, but persevered in the truth--of the Lord.

5 These my brethren hated me, but the Lord loved me:

6 They wished to slay me, but the God of my fathers guarded me:

7 They let me down into a pit, and the Most High brought me up again.

8 I was sold into slavery, and the Lord of all made me free:

9 I was taken into captivity, and His strong hand succoured me.

10 I was beset with hunger, and the Lord Himself nourished me.

11 I was alone, ...
    by Published on 01-08-2012 07:13 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Pseudepigrapha,
    3. OT Apocrypha

CHAP. II.

Verse 3 contains a striking example of the homeliness--yet vividness of the figures of speech of these ancient patriarchs.

AND do ye, my children, flee evil-doing, envy, and hatred of brethren, and cleave to goodness and love.

2 He that hath a pure mind in love, looketh not after a woman with a view to fornication; for he hath no defilement in his heart, because the Spirit of God resteth upon him.

3 For as the sun is not defiled by shining on dung and mire, but ...
    by Published on 01-08-2012 07:12 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Pseudepigrapha,
    3. OT Apocrypha

THE TESTAMENT OF BENJAMIN
    The Twelfth Son of Jacob and Rachel.

CHAP. I.

Benjamin, the twelfth son of Jacob and Rachel, the baby of the family, turns philosopher and philanthropist.

THE copy of the words of Benjamin, which he commanded his sons to observe, after he had lived a hundred and twenty-five years.

2 And he kissed them, and said: As Isaac was born to Abraham in his old age, so also was I to Jacob.

3 And since Rachel my mother died in giving me birth, I had no milk; therefore I was suckled by Bilhah her handmaid.

4 For Rachel remained barren for twelve years after she had borne Joseph; and she prayed ...

Baruch 

by Published on 01-05-2012 08:50 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. OT Apocrypha

Baruch

Bar.1
    [1] These are the words of the book which Baruch the son of Neraiah, son of Mahseiah, son of Zedekiah, son of Hasadiah, son of Hilkiah, wrote in Babylon,
    [2] in the fifth year, on the seventh day of the month, at the time when the Chaldeans took Jerusalem and burned it with fire.
    [3] And Baruch read the words of this book in the hearing of Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim, king of Judah, and in the hearing of all the people who came to hear the book,
    [4] and in the hearing of the mighty men and the princes, and in the hearing of the elders, and in the hearing of all the people, small and great, all who dwelt in Babylon by the river Sud.
    [5] Then they wept, and fasted, and prayed before the Lord;
    [6] and they collected money, each giving what he could;
    [7] and they sent it to Jerusalem to Jehoiakim the high priest, the son of Hilkiah, son of Shallum, and to the priests, and to all the people who were present with him in Jerusalem.
    by Published on 01-05-2012 07:33 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. OT Apocrypha

Additions to the Book of Esther

AddEsth.11
    [2] In the second year of the reign of Artaxerxes the Great, on the first day of Nisan, Mordecai the son of Jair, son of Shimei, son of Kish, of the tribe of Benjamin, had a dream.
    [3] He was a Jew, dwelling in the city of Susa, a great man, serving in the court of the king.
    [4] He was one of the captives whom Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon had brought from Jerusalem with Jeconiah king of Judea. And this was his dream:
    [5] Behold, noise and confusion, thunders and earthquake, tumult upon the earth!
    [6] And behold, two great dragons came forward, both ready to fight, and they roared terribly.
    [7] And at their roaring every nation prepared for war, to fight against the nation of the righteous.
    [8] And behold, a day of darkness and ...

Tobit 

by Published on 01-05-2012 07:32 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. OT Apocrypha

Tobit

Tob.1
    [1] The book of the acts of Tobit the son of Tobiel, son of Ananiel, son of Aduel, son of Gabael, of the descendants of Asiel and the tribe of Naphtali,
    [2] who in the days of Shalmaneser, king of the Assyrians, was taken into captivity from Thisbe, which is to the south of Kedesh Naphtali in Galilee above Asher.
    [3] I, Tobit, walked in the ways of truth and righteousness all the days of my life, and I performed many acts of charity to my brethren and countrymen who went with me into the land of the Assyrians, to Nineveh.
    [4] Now when I was in my own country, in the land of Israel, while I was still a young man, the whole tribe of Naphtali my forefather deserted the house of Jerusalem. This was the place which had been chosen from among all the tribes of Israel, where all the tribes should sacrifice and where the temple of the dwelling of the Most High was consecrated and established for all generations for ever.
    [5] All the tribes that joined in apostasy used to sacrifice to the calf Baal, and so did the house of Naphtali my forefather.
    [6] But I alone went often to Jerusalem for the feasts, as it is ordained for all Israel by an everlasting decree. Taking the first fruits and the tithes of my produce and the first shearings, I would give these to the priests, the sons of Aaron, at the altar.
    [7] Of all my produce I would give a tenth to the sons of Levi who ministered at Jerusalem; a second tenth I would sell, and I would go and spend the proceeds each year at Jerusalem;
    [8] the third tenth I would give to those to whom it was my duty, as Deborah my father's mother had commanded me, for I was left an orphan by my father.
    [9] When I became a man ...
    by Published on 01-05-2012 07:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. OT Apocrypha

Psalm 151

[2] My hands made a harp, my fingers fashioned a lyre.
    [3] And who will declare it to my Lord? The Lord himself; it is he who hears. ...
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  • Recent Forum Posts

Erik

Christian professor sues university

Evangelical Christian professor sues university for 'punishing' him after he insisted on calling a transgender student a male

An evangelical Christian professor is suing officials at his small,...

Erik Today, 12:10 AM Go to last post
    Erik

Re: Memes and Pics

By Grace saved through Faith...

Erik Yesterday, 11:27 PM Go to last post
    Erik

Re: Thought of the day thread

You see all these disasters and wonder why? The answer is simple. Like Sodom and Gomorrah, cities and towns get destroyed because of wickedness.

Erik Yesterday, 11:15 PM Go to last post
    Erik

School Bans Jesus Songs...

Virginia School Bans All Songs Mentioning 'Jesus' at Annual Christmas Concert

A middle school in Virginia has banned songs mentioning "Jesus" from its annual Christmas concert as part of an effort...

Erik Yesterday, 11:10 PM Go to last post
    Erik

Re: The Hatred of our People

GA Teaching Aide Calls for ‘Dismantling’ the Church, Says It Makes ‘Crappy White People’

A teaching assistant at the University of Georgia made absurdly racist Facebook posts targeted toward white...

Erik Yesterday, 10:53 PM Go to last post
  • Recent Articles

• CNN Videos