• Those Who Are Not a People

Those Who Are Not a People
    by Pastor Pete Peters

"So I will make them jealous with those who are not a people." Deuteronomy 28:21.

There have been, over the years, many and varied religious movements. There has been the Reformation movement, which gave birth to such churches as the larger denominations—Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc. There was the Restoration movement from which the Christian churches and churches of Christ came; the Pentecostal movement, from which came such churches as the Assemblies of God and the Four Square Gospel. Then there was the later Charismatic movement. But, all religious movements seem to have one thing in common—they quit moving. At some point or another, at some time or another, they stop moving; and, when they stop moving they then build an edifice called a church and box themselves inside of walls on which they write, "this is what we believe," "this is truth," "this is all truth and all that we believe is truth," and they stop growing in knowledge and understanding, though they are told to grow. "But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ"—2 Peter 3:18. One of the ways a child grows in knowledge is to ask his father questions; but, of course, once the child thinks he knows it all, he stops asking. This article asks some questions church and non-church people need to be asking.

The church people who stay within the bounds of their beliefs are deemed faithful; those who start to go outside the box are seen as falling away rather than growing and will soon find themselves being dis-fellowshipped on the installment plan. Another word for "movements that stop moving" is "constipation," which brings stink and death. We all need to pray for more of the Holy Spirit and more moving of the Holy Spirit which guides us into truth (Luke 11:13, John 16:13).

Those that go too far beyond the limits or boundaries of belief of these churches are viewed as radicals, extremists and too far out, even crazy! They would answer Paul's question in Galatians 4:16 in the affirmative, "Have I therefore become your enemy by telling you the truth?"

Jesus is the way and the "truth" (John 14:6) and those who love Him care not what the world considers them or calls them, including the church world. Consider the way far out of the box truth the early church went out into the entire world with—that a body, a dead man who had been in the grave for three days and three nights, literally arose from the grave, ascended into the heavens, and is now omnipresent. That was way far out of all the boxed-in thinking of the then existing world, but because men and women, moved by the Holy Spirit, proclaimed the truth, regardless of how the world viewed them, the entire world changed (Acts 17:6); to the world, you'd have to be crazy to believe such a thing.

There is a statement "a truth whose time has come." People—church and non-church people—are beginning to realize something is seriously wrong, are beginning to sense they do not have all truth, and are beginning to question politically correct lies presented to them as truth. For example: Are all men created equal and does God love all men the same? They observe creation and see that not all races have equal physical and mental abilities. They read their Bibles and find the Canaanites did not have equal rights in the old Promised Land as did the Israelites (Deuteronomy 7), and that God loves Jacob and hates Esau (Malachi 1:3 and Romans 9:13).

Here is a question some are beginning to ask that seems so very, very far out, "Are all men, men?" In other words, are all that appear to be people, people?

It sounds like a far-out question. It even sounds like science fiction! You know—aliens, even reptilian aliens, who disguise themselves as men to take over the world. You know the many science fiction stories over the years where a few find out there are aliens amongst them and then try, in prophet-like fashion, to tell the world—but, the world calls them crazy. What if the aliens were telling these stories so that when the truth got out no one could believe it because it sounded like fiction? What if truth really is stranger than fiction? Is it wrong to even ask such questions and then look at Bible passages in an attempt to scripturally answer them? Is it wrong to ask ourselves if certain Bible verses are more literal than metaphorical than we have previously viewed them? You, who want to grow in grace and knowledge, decide.

Some think a previous Scriptures for America newsletter article entitled "Learning to Curse Like Christian Soldiers", concerning the concept of cursing—i.e. imprecatory prayer—was wrong and very un-Christian. This writer understands such thinking and once would have thought the same thing, until he grew in the grace and knowledge of Jesus and learned and read the Psalms containing imprecatory prayer.

If this writer (who also wrote that article) were to argue against what he wrote, he would go to James, Chapter 3, concerning the tongue: "With it (the tongue) we bless our Lord and Father; and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessings and cursing, My brethren, these things ought not to be this way."—James 3:9-10. Do not these verses teach that we should not curse men? Yet, let's consider, in light of the verses, the actions of the Holy Spirit-inspired Apostle Paul.

"But Elymas the magician (for thus his name is translated) was opposing them, seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith. But Saul, who was also known as Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, fixed his gaze upon him, and said, 'You who are full of all deceit and fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease to make crooked the straight ways of the Lord? And now, behold, the hand of the Lord is upon you, and you will be blind and not see the sun for a time.' And, immediately a mist and a darkness fell upon him, and he went about seeking those who would lead him by the hand."—Acts 13:8-11.

Did not this Christian apostle curse Elymas, the magician? The answer is obviously—YES! But, did he curse a man? The Bible teaches us he cursed a "son of the devil." Could it be that a son of the devil only looks like a man?

Concerning men, was not the purpose of the vision given to Peter in Acts, Chapter 10, to teach that we are to call no man unclean? "God has shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean."—Acts 10:28. Yet, is not a snake unclean, and did not Jesus call certain ones snakes? "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how shall you escape the sentence of hell?"—Matthew 23:33. Maybe He wasn't calling men unclean snakes; does not Matthew 23:15 teach us He was speaking to "sons of hell"? "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel about on sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves."—Matthew 23:15.

"Son of hell", "son of the devil", "serpent", "brood of vipers" are those of whom Jesus said, in John 8:44, were of their father the devil, but are they people—i.e. men—or do they just appear to be so? That's far out, you say, but does not the Scripture say that at the end of the age tares that had appeared to be wheat would come to be seen for what they were—i.e., "the sons of the evil one"?—Matthew 13:38. That teaching, of course, is found in the parable of the tares and wheat in Matthew Chapter 13, which contains end-time—i.e., end of the age—truth; truth hidden from us until we arrive at that time known in the phrase "truth whose time has come." Of course, for those poor, boxed-in souls who have all truth and thus have no need to further grow, it will not be found. Does not God sometimes hide truth, expecting us to search it out? "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings is to search out a matter."—Proverbs 25:2.

The parable of the tares and wheat contains truth hidden since the foundation of the world—"I will open MY mouth in PARABLES: I will utter things HIDDEN SINCE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD" (Matthew 13:35). Could one of those things hidden be the fact that there are those who are not people? What is 2 Peter 2:12 teaching us? Consider what the following parable of the tares is teaching us. Is it not teaching us that the tares, which represent the sons of the evil one, appear like wheat—i.e., sons of the kingdom—until a certain time? Does not this parable teach that there was wheat that was not wheat, so could there be people who are not people? Read and consider the parable carefully.

"He presented another parable to them, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed tares also among the wheat, and went away. But when the wheat sprang up and bore grain, then the tares became evident also. And the slaves of the landowner came and said to him, 'Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?' And he said to them, 'An enemy has done this!' And the slaves said to him, 'Do you want us, then, to go and gather them up?' But he said, 'No; lest while you are gathering up the tares, you may root up the wheat with them. Allow both to grow together until the harvest; and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, First gather up the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them up; but gather the wheat into my barn.'"—Matthew 13:24-30.

"All these things Jesus spoke to the multitudes in parables, and He did not speak to them without a parable, so that what was spoken through the prophet might be fulfilled, saying, 'I will open My mouth in parables; I will utter things hidden since the foundation of the world.' Then He left the multitudes, and went into the house. And His disciples came to Him, saying, 'Explain to us the parable of the tares of the field.' And He answered and said, 'The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man, and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one; and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is the end of the age; and the reapers are angels. Therefore just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the end of the age. The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness, and will cast them into the furnace of fire; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear."—Matthew 13:34-43.

This parable tells of an end time event, but the Song of Moses (Deuteronomy 31:29-32, 44) does so likewise. It tells how His people, in their prosperity, would forsake their God and make Him jealous with gods who were not God but were demons: "But Jeshunin grew fat and kicked—You are grown fat, thick, and sleek—Then he forsook God who made him, and scorned the Rock of his salvation. They made Him jealous with strange gods; with abominations they provoked Him to anger. They sacrificed to demons who were not God, to gods whom they have not known, new gods who came lately, whom your fathers did not dread."—Deuteronomy 32:15-17.

The Song of Moses tells what our jealous God would in turn do—one of which is send upon them creatures called "beasts" and "serpents." "I will also send the teeth of beasts upon them, with the poison of serpents of the dust."—Deuteronomy 32:24 KJV. Could these "beasts" be the same creatures Peter speaks of in II Peter 2:12? "But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed." (KJV). Could these be the snakes Jesus identified?

God sending snakes upon His people to punish them for their sins is not a new concept. In Numbers chapter 21, the story is told how He did just that and 1 Corinthians 10:6 teaches us that we are to learn from such stories. The snakes today appear like men to the average man, but not to the man called Jesus or the man called John, who could see what they were (Matthew 3:7; 23:33).

And what are they? Are they a people? In the Song of Moses, God in turn, states that since His people made Him jealous, He would make them jealous with those who were not a people. "They have made me jealous with what is not God; so I will make them jealous with those who are not a people. I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation."—Deuteronomy 32:21.

Perhaps we need to ask ourselves some questions in light of this verse. Does not this verse teach that He would make them jealous with those "who are not a people"? Does it not say He would provoke them to anger with a foolish nation? Nations are normally made up of people, such as the nation of China is made up of Chinese people; but, what is the nation in this prophesy made up of? Is not the answer—"those who are not a people"?

We are boxed-in in our thinking when we think a nation has to be made up of people. Could there not be a nation of aliens, disguised as people, who are really cold-blooded, reptilian beasts in nature, or is that only possible in science fiction movies? Is it any more impossible than a dead body coming up out of a grave? Does not the Word of God tell His people one of the national consequences of their sin would be "The alien who is among you shall rise above you higher and higher, but you shall go down lower and lower"—Deuteronomy 28:43?

If these snakes are not a people, then what are they? Could it not be that the terms serpents, vipers, sons of the devil, and sons of hell are identifying terms? The Song of Moses tells us they made Him jealous with demons (read again Deuteronomy 32:16-17). He then tells that He would make jealous with those who are not a people. Could it be "those who are not a people" are demons, and God is saying you will reap what you sowed? You made me jealous with demons; I will, therefore, make you jealous with demons!

Our Lord has not only said He would make His people jealous with those who are not a people but would also make His people angry with the nation of these non-people. "I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation."

These questions need to be asked for the Christian to grow in the understanding of the meaning of such verses as Mark 16:17-18: "These signs will accompany those who have believed in My name; they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues, they will pick up serpents." The Greek word for "pick up" is #142 in Strong's and can mean to take away. As for "casting out demons" this could include more than casting demons out of people; it could mean casting out people who are not a people but demons.

Christians can accept the fact that the Bible teaches that God's angels can appear as men, but can they accept the fact that Satan's little devils can do likewise? The Bible tells us that Satan's servants disguise themselves. (2 Corinthians 11:15).

THERE IS MORE THAT COULD BE TOLD, or should we say, there are more questions that could be asked; but, we best stop here. We will be telling much more in our tape series entitled Ask Gideon that is currently going out on our Scriptures for America tape ministry—telling how to cast this nation of non-people into the sea.

Enough has been said in this article, for there are such things as growing pains when one grows too fast. Jesus once said, "I have many more things to say to you but you cannot bear them now."—John 16:12. He then went on to speak of our need for the Holy Spirit in order to go on into further truth. We best all pray for more of it in order to move on as the Gideon elite.

"But when He, the spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth ...."—John 16:13.